Buying Car As Non-Resident/ Turist?

artigas

Registered
Has anyone had recent experience buying and registering a car in Argentina as a non-resident/ turist? What are the practical difficulties in buying and or registering the vehicle? Do you special tax registrations, proof of money origin or other bureaucratic tramites? Any advise would be apreciated.

Has anyone had recent experience buying and registering a car in Argentina as a non-resident/ turist? What are the practical difficulties in buying and or registering the vehicle? Do you special tax registrations, proof of money origin or other bureaucratic tramites? Any advise would be apreciated.

I have never done it myself, but kept a car in my father-in-law's name so I could cross the border into Chile. As a non-resident, you can buy a car here, but you can't take it out of the country because it's a "vehiculo nacional."

I have never done it myself, but kept a car in my father-in-law's name so I could cross the border into Chile. As a non-resident, you can buy a car here, but you can't take it out of the country because it's a "vehiculo nacional."

Believe already discussed on this Board that now it's possible for a non-resident to drive an owned Argentine plate out of the country??
Any opinions

you need to get a cuit# and then you can buy.. it is not too difficult. get two witnesses with argentine dni to sign for you at the registro civil of your area saying you live at so and so address. then with this paper go to afip and get a cuit. buy car, and when signing over car at the registro for cars just lie about money, say savings, and lie about the price.

The problem is customs, which considers your car a "vehículo nacional" which a non-Argentine may not take out of the country (though, ironically, you can sign a power of attorney so that someone else can do so). It makes more sense to buy a vehicle in Chile, where there's a better selection at lower prices, and the authorities don't care where you take it.

you need to get a cuit# and then you can buy.. it is not too difficult. get two witnesses with argentine dni to sign for you at the registro civil of your area saying you live at so and so address. then with this paper go to afip and get a cuit. buy car, and when signing over car at the registro for cars just lie about money, say savings, and lie about the price.

Turists can't get a CUIT, it's a CDI.

Plenty of threads deal with the subject:

1. Go to the Police station in BA (or Registro in the Provincia) and ask for a Certificado de Domicilio. Cost is like 10 pesos
2. Go to the AFIP branch linked to your address (and only that one), and ask for a CDI. That's free

Then you can buy a car the usual way (Registro automotor, etc.)

Exiting the country with your own car as a tourist = used to be impossible but it seems it's possible now.

Buying a car in Chile: why not but you'll need to take the car out/in of Argentina every 3 months unless it'll get seized.

Added: no need to prove the money origin. It's indeed interesting to lower a bit the price of the vehicle purchased in the declaration but everyone does it so the price must remain rational (they are no fools).

Turists can't get a CUIT, it's a CDI.

Plenty of threads deal with the subject:

1. Go to the Police station in BA (or Registro in the Provincia) and ask for a Certificado de Domicilio. Cost is like 10 pesos
2. Go to the AFIP branch linked to your address (and only that one), and ask for a CDI. That's free

Then you can buy a car the usual way (Registro automotor, etc.)

Exiting the country with your own car as a tourist = used to be impossible but it seems it's possible now.

Buying a car in Chile: why not but you'll need to take the car out/in of Argentina every 3 months unless it'll get seized.

Added: no need to prove the money origin. It's indeed interesting to lower a bit the price of the vehicle purchased in the declaration but everyone does it so the price must remain rational (they are no fools).

The Argentine entry permit for a Chilean car is 180 days,also the exit permit from Chile is 180 days, but your tourist visa is 90 days, so you have to go out to Uruguay on foot once . ( I did it for several years).

The Argentine entry permit for a Chilean car is 180 days,also the exit permit from Chile is 180 days, but your tourist visa is 90 days, so you have to go out to Uruguay on foot once . ( I did it for several years).

didn't know that. Likely a specifity because it's a Chilean vehicle. For instance a tourist coming in Argentina with an US vehicle will have 90 days (like for his visa).

I have left my Chilean car in Argielandia while going to Uruguay, and also while crossing to Paraguay for a few days.

Back