Buying plane tickets with pesos?

seaghia

Registered
Hey y'all,

I've been living here in bsas for the majority of this year as a student on a sabbatical and it is finally time to go home. With the current blue market rate/the extremely advantageous Western Union USD to peso rate, I realized that I could save nearly $400 on airfare home if I pay in pesos. Has anyone here managed to purchase airfare at the blue rate/in cash recently? I called the American Airlines ticket office located in Retiro and was told that they no longer accept cash payments for tickets. I don't know if this is a universal standard for other airlines, I haven't checked. Has anyone used pesos in cash, a direct western union transfer, or something else to pay for a ticket? Perhaps with another airline? My mom is from Argentina and there is a chance that I go through her bank account, but I don't know how that would work if I have physical cash.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

I went to a travel agency yesterday and the person there bought me the ticket and I handed him cash.

Best is to just have a friend here in argentina order online for you and hand him the cash. IF you dont have a debit card here.

I went to a travel agency yesterday and the person there bought me the ticket and I handed him cash.

Best is to just have a friend here in argentina order online for you and hand him the cash. IF you dont have a debit card here.

You handed Argie Pesos to a travel Agency to buy an overseas Airline ticket? Can you mention the Agency Location ?

Hey y'all,

I've been living here in bsas for the majority of this year as a student on a sabbatical and it is finally time to go home. With the current blue market rate/the extremely advantageous Western Union USD to peso rate, I realized that I could save nearly $400 on airfare home if I pay in pesos. Has anyone here managed to purchase airfare at the blue rate/in cash recently? I called the American Airlines ticket office located in Retiro and was told that they no longer accept cash payments for tickets. I don't know if this is a universal standard for other airlines, I haven't checked. Has anyone used pesos in cash, a direct western union transfer, or something else to pay for a ticket? Perhaps with another airline? My mom is from Argentina and there is a chance that I go through her bank account, but I don't know how that would work if I have physical cash.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Correct, most airline offices don’t want to deal with this anymore. That’s what travel agencies are for.
(doubles up in fit of coughing)

Back