Buying shirts in BA - Where?

NickC

Registered
Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy some casual shirts for the summer. Back home I would go to TK Maxx (TJ Maxx in the US I believe). However haven't seen anything so similar here. Does anyone have any suggestions on good places? It doesn't have to be branded just relatively priced and nice. I would even do second hand/thrift shop if they were good quality (again, more common in London I feel).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

Although I've never actually been there myself, the girls in the household usually go to Avellaneda in Flores. It's the centre of the "rag trade" Google something like locales de ropa en flores calle avellaneda for orientation etc. Some shops are retail but most are trade - which in practice means they will sell to anyone but expect you to buy a minimum of three or five items. I presume there are men's shirts to be had - I'm sure someone will chip in and say if not - but the trade is predominately women's clothing so you might not find what you want in the first shop you come to.

yeah unfortunately there isn't anything similar to TJ Maxx or those types of big retail clothing stores here (that i know of anyway). i wish there was...or at least a Target haha. i just wait until i'm traveling to the US to buy any clothes.

you could try the Distrito Arcos shopping in palermo.

I buy clothes in Once, there is a very wide range of stuff there. I tend to buy 100% cotton made in argentina stuff, there are several brands of that. Many of the stores in Once are both wholesale or retail, some are wholesale only, but the minimum is usually not that high. I buy my undershirts and underwear from wholesalers there, once every couple of years, minimums are usually $50-$75 US, but you get the clothes for half or less what the neighborhood shops charge.
Once is a lot closer than Flores, but its still pretty confusing and overwhelming to a first timer.

I buy clothes in Once, there is a very wide range of stuff there. I tend to buy 100% cotton made in argentina stuff, there are several brands of that. Many of the stores in Once are both wholesale or retail, some are wholesale only, but the minimum is usually not that high. I buy my undershirts and underwear from wholesalers there, once every couple of years, minimums are usually $50-$75 US, but you get the clothes for half or less what the neighborhood shops charge.
Once is a lot closer than Flores, but its still pretty confusing and overwhelming to a first timer.
Aren't Once and Avalleneda basically the same place, as in same name for the same place as Av. Avalleneda is the street that runs through the Once wholsaler commercial zone? It's in Floresta too, not Flores.

Either way, they are wholesalers who sell clothes to the clothing stores. These are not the clothing stores that are brands found in malls (Zara for example), but clothes suppliers for stores that operate as avenue retailers. As those stores can be hit and miss themsevles, so are the wholesalers. For every one on Avelleneda that has good clothes there will be a few with poor quality. In fact, even the good ones can sometimes lack the quality of a full brand chain. Regardless, some geuine bargains can be had and for the most part you are not required to buy a specific amount (I have never heard of this requirement in the many times I and family members have been). However, most of the stores will not allow you to try clothes on, so make sure you properly know your size if you head there.

In Palermo on Gurruchaga there are several blocks of outlet stores that have last season's clothing at reduced prices.

Last edited:
Aren't Once and Avalleneda basically the same place, as in same name for the same place as Av. Avalleneda is the street that runs through the Once wholsaler commercial zone? It's in Floresta too, not Flores.

Either way, they are wholesalers who sell clothes to the clothing stores. These are not the clothing stores that are brands found in malls (Zara for example), but clothes suppliers for stores that operate as avenue retailers. As those stores can be hit and miss themsevles, so are the wholesalers. For every one on Avelleneda that has good clothes there will be a few with poor quality. In fact, even the good ones can sometimes lack the quality of a full brand chain. Regardless, some geuine bargains can be had and for the most part you are not required to buy a specific amount (I have never heard of this requirement in the many times I and family members have been). However, most of the stores will not allow you to try clothes on, so make sure you properly know your size if you head there.
Once is generally thought of as between Rivadavia and Corrientes, and between Callao and Pyurredon.
The "Avelleneda" district of cheap clothing is about 5 kilometers from there, in Floresta, as you say.
I would not call them the same place- they are quite a distance, and different in many ways.

Zara is an import store, not local.
Hardly comparable to locally produced stuff.
And I have certainly found Zara, H&M, and Target to be hit or miss as well, in quality and design.

Anyway, the rule in Argentina is always that varying qualities of products exist side by side, and you have to be an informed shopper- for anything, be it tomatoes, T shirts, or empanadas.
There are good quality Argentine made clothes- but you have to know what you are looking at, read labels, and observe how they are made.
As I mentioned above, I mostly buy 100 percent algondon clothing here, which is made from Argentine cotton- its quality, and a good value. But its still more expensive than Chinese or Bangladeshi synthetic clothing- which is also true in the USA or Europe- quality cotton or wool clothing costs more, and lasts longer.

80% of the clothes made every year, worldwide, end up in landfills or recycling within ONE YEAR.
mostly because they are designed quickly, made shoddily, and are made from plastic- literally.

Buy less, and buy better, and we all benefit.

yeah unfortunately there isn't anything similar to TJ Maxx or those types of big retail clothing stores here (that i know of anyway). i wish there was...or at least a Target haha. i just wait until i'm traveling to the US to buy any clothes.

you could try the Distrito Arcos shopping in palermo.

ummm. Falabella is pretty similar to TJ Maxx. Maybe not price wise, but in the types of products that it carries.

ummm. Falabella is pretty similar to TJ Maxx. Maybe not price wise, but in the types of products that it carries.
is it? i've never been in one haha. i thought it was a women's clothes store :)

Back