buying US DOLLARS with plane ticket

argcalif2010

Registered
Hello everybody,

Was wondering if anybody had the scope on buying Dollars in Buenos Aires at the offical rate with a USA passport and airline tickets from Argentina to USA Miami. ??

Thanks!!!!:)

With just a US passport buying Dollars at the oficial rate is not going to happen.

are you a resident of argentina? (regardless of passport)

I am pretty sure that to buy them at the official rate through the AFIP system you have to have a DNI or at least your own CUIL number. These are needed during the online application for foreign currency. The application itself if you have the documents needed is quite simple. (Which surprised me!)

Katie159 said:
I am pretty sure that to buy them at the official rate through the AFIP system you have to have a DNI or at least your own CUIL number. These are needed during the online application for foreign currency. The application itself if you have the documents needed is quite simple. (Which surprised me!)

You are exactly right. You need to apply for the dollars online with AFIP which will require a CUIL. AFIP is the approval authority for the release of US dollars at the official rate.

A year ago you could... not anymore. Tourists can't buy dollars back. :rolleyes:

Some say if you save the receipts when you bought pesos you might be allowed to buy some dollars back, but I wouldn't put any faith in that at all. People have posted that they were denied even with receipts.

Do you just need a DNI and CUIL number to be able to buy dollars? Was wondering if they'd ask to see your payment slips of where you work also..

Back