Cabrales Expresso Cafe

cruizes

Registered
I found out that the McCafe uses Cabrales Expresso. Does anyone know where I can purchase 500 grams or 1 kilo. Actually not bad compared to a lot of the stuff they serve here at the cafes.

You can actually buy Cabrales in COTO. However, you MUST pay close attention to the following...
This is the ONLY Cabrales that you want to buy - http://cotodigital.com.ar/s.asp?id=123650&st=articulo
Reason being it is "libre de azúcar" no sugar added. Here in Argentina, most commercially sold coffee is roasted with sugar on the beans. It's called "Café Torrado". If you see the word "Torrado" on any package of coffe RUN AND HIDE. That is the coffee that when you make it has that horrible burnt flavor. This variety of Cabrales "Happy Day" does not have sugar on the beans. That is why the flavor is good. Hope this helps.

There is a Cabrales factory store located on Arenales between Montevideo and Parana that sells several varieties of whole bean espresso coffee, including Ristretto, which I personally consume.

I was told by somebody who works for Jumbo that the Jumbo brand coffee beans (the big green bag with beans for espresso makers) are actually made by Cabrales (just a cheaper roast).

Worth checking out is Café Fundador Espresso sold at Walmart - if you are looking for decent espresso beans made in Argentina. Pretty good stuff.

Cabrales is So-So but if you're looking for whole grain I'd recommend Cinco Hispanos... I'm brewing up a cuppa as we speak. It's 130/kilo at Makro, otherwise I find it in the back corner bottom shelf of my neighborhood Coto for 80 for the half kilo.

Cabrales is So-So but if you're looking for whole grain I'd recommend Cinco Hispanos... I'm brewing up a cuppa as we speak. It's 130/kilo at Makro, otherwise I find it in the back corner bottom shelf of my neighborhood Coto for 80 for the half kilo.

Sorry Lucha! I just committed a 110 pesos mistake! Was just at Walmart to buy some tea (they usually have Earl Grey, nada hoy) and thought I'd give some other coffee a try since our Starbucks grains are now running about 360pesos a kilo! The Cabrales they had was ALL torrado, yuck, so decided to go for the 500gr bag of 5 Hispanos tostado natural en granos "especial para maquinas express" -- well, that was a BIG mistake, lol. Maybe it is another kind you use? All the others en grano they had were torrado as well though. But just got home and ground the beans at the setting we usually use, made a single espresso and it's got that horrid burnt flavour that you get so often here. Since I don't like to waste, I'll probably just be mixing it in a little at a time with our regular beans.

So still on the search for a cheaper option than Starbucks beans without sacrificing flavour -- how much are the prices at Estacion del Cafe (or Bolsa de Cafe?) -- the one on Pueyrredon? I never am down there but may have to make a special trip of it.

Sorry Lucha! I just committed a 110 pesos mistake! Was just at Walmart to buy some tea (they usually have Earl Grey, nada hoy) and thought I'd give some other coffee a try since our Starbucks grains are now running about 360pesos a kilo! The Cabrales they had was ALL torrado, yuck, so decided to go for the 500gr bag of 5 Hispanos tostado natural en granos "especial para maquinas express" -- well, that was a BIG mistake, lol. Maybe it is another kind you use? All the others en grano they had were torrado as well though. But just got home and ground the beans at the setting we usually use, made a single espresso and it's got that horrid burnt flavour that you get so often here. Since I don't like to waste, I'll probably just be mixing it in a little at a time with our regular beans.

So still on the search for a cheaper option than Starbucks beans without sacrificing flavour -- how much are the prices at Estacion del Cafe (or Bolsa de Cafe?) -- the one on Pueyrredon? I never am down there but may have to make a special trip of it.
Since you mention Walmart: Have you tried the Café Fundador Espresso? The beans are in a grey/black box (the other box with the molido is red). Good espresso.

When I was in Rosario I bought some Cabrales Instant Cappuccino (Rosario apartments are usually not well equipped - no coffee maker - just 4 plates, 4 glasses and 4 cups...) It said Italian style - which won me over, haha! I though I must have gotten a rotten batch because it smelled like some random set of noxious chemicals. Also the Cabrales Cappucino in the milk type containers is absolutely vile.

But the Cabrales Columbian coffee that is carried in most stores makes a decent cup.

I think I probably got a bad stocking day -- there was really not much choice for grains (beans) -- pretty much everything was torrado y molido... Is the Cafe Fundador you mention molido? (I suspect so if it comes in a box, but just verifying). cheers!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pensador Expat Life 11