Caffeine Overload?

Lee said:
If you have been here anytime at all you will notice that the coffee shops are filled with people at all hours of the day and night. You will next notice that Mate is consumed equally through out the day and evening...then you will also notice large numbers of people walking around with full sized liters of regular Coke (that is also the drink of choice for young children). Of course, Red Bull / Speed is the drink of choice for late night party goers...:cool:

The active ingredient of Mate is Caffeine. The same for coffee. Coke is filled with sugar and of course, caffeine. Energy drinks are all full of it as well.

It would seem that caffeine is fueling this city!
I'm overdosed as I type this ! Buzzzzzzzz.......:D

The active ingredient of Mate is Caffeine. The same for coffee. Coke is filled with sugar and of course, caffeine. Energy drinks are all full of it as well.

I love the fact they haverenamed the caffeine element as Mateina (which is disputed to exist) but overall mate has many more benefits than caffeine and I love it. See some sample thoughts here... http://www.nativayerbamate.com/testimonials.html

and on a related thoughtjust heard on the radio that Strabucks is introducing a new "blonde roast" for those consumers who find their regular coffeee too strong..ahem, please...:rolleyes:

fifs2 said:

I love the fact they haverenamed the caffeine element as Mateina (which is disputed to exist) but overall mate has many more benefits than caffeine and I love it. See some sample thoughts here... http://www.nativayerbamate.com/testimonials.html

and on a related thoughtjust heard on the radio that Strabucks is introducing a new "blonde roast" for those consumers who find their regular coffeee too strong..ahem, please...:rolleyes:

not all Caffeine sources are the same. mate has many active compounds, like I believe Taurine (same as Guarana). In Uruguay for instance people actually drink mate INSTEAD of coffee and their "national character" is a lot more mellow!

so the blond roast will include an even higher proportion of water:confused:

Matt84 said:
not all Caffeine sources are the same. mate has many active compounds, like I believe Taurine (same as Guarana). In Uruguay for instance people actually drink mate INSTEAD of coffee and their "national character" is a lot more mellow!

so the blond roast will include an even higher proportion of water:confused:

The roast of the coffee has nothing to do with the amount of water added. The lighter roast is for those who prefer a less "strong" / bitter taste

As a seattle native I can proudly say that these porteños don't know crap about being a caffeine fueled city.

/posting from the 3 starbucks i've been to today.

Caffiene is overated inmo and does not give you energy but anxiety . Mate to me is more potent that caffeine and can make me feel very wired . Nowadays I drink maximum one coffee every three days and I feel much better .

PhilipDT said:
As a seattle native I can proudly say that these porteños don't know crap about being a caffeine fueled city.

/posting from the 3 starbucks i've been to today.

I buy some amazing coffee from Colombia. One Saturday, my partner's mother came to the city, and I proudly served her a cup, telling her how amazing it is. When she was going down the elevator, she told my partner that the coffee was gross, and that it almost made her sick. Sigh, even good coffee has to be drowned in milk and sugar... :rolleyes:

How else can you get through an Argentine day? I do enjoy a bit of mate in the morning. Kick starts the day. Cheaper and (possibly) healthier then coffee. I was told it was anti-aging as well...?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Expat Life 2