Can I Buy An "antique" Car And Take It Back To The Usa?

aschuh14

Registered
My husband and I want to buy a 1972 Fiat 500 and take it back with us to the USA. We've been here about 2 years and are moving home in 3 months.

Our neighbor is selling the car and I'm not really concerned with the condition or mileage on the car. As far as legality goes, what do we have to do the buy the car (i.e. tax, title, registration)? How does insurance work? We aren't really planning on driving it in the city, more as a souvenir to bring home.

Secondly, the car is tiny and should fit fine in our shipping container with our furniture. Can we just put the car inside and ship it back? Has anyone been through this already?

Cheers!

Abby

Your best bet is to find a reputable 'despachante" or freight forwarder , and they should be able to provide you with all the information you need to ship the car back to the US. It should be no problem. You may be able to buy it for export , without transfers in Argentina. It will fit in your container.As for importing into the USA , for an older car , it should be minimal. You will have to find an import agent in the US. The car may have to be "federalized" meaning it will have to comply with US safety standards. This may not apply as it is so old.

But get the best advice from professionals , and perhaps several opinions. Good Luck !!

I think you do not have to "Federalize" your car if it was built BEFORE the safety standards were introduced in the USA.
But if you,say, go to Germany and buy a used Mercedes Benz model 2000 or so, it WILL have to be updated to US standars, which is costly. In those cases, Mercedes Benz will sell you a NEW car with US standards already designed into it, (at an extra price of course).
The 1972 FIAT 600 (not 500) probably does not even have seats belts and it will equipped with "suicide" doors, for instance, but even so it should be no problem.
Just in case, check with the US consulate first here in BA.

I don't know specifically about cars, but I do know a few people who have tried to take antiques out of the country and have been denied permission from the cultural and historical government officials.

My husband and I want to buy a 1972 Fiat 500 and take it back with us to the USA. We've been here about 2 years and are moving home in 3 months.

Our neighbor is selling the car and I'm not really concerned with the condition or mileage on the car. As far as legality goes, what do we have to do the buy the car (i.e. tax, title, registration)? How does insurance work? We aren't really planning on driving it in the city, more as a souvenir to bring home.

Secondly, the car is tiny and should fit fine in our shipping container with our furniture. Can we just put the car inside and ship it back? Has anyone been through this already?

Cheers!

Abby

72 Fiat ? Perhaps falls under the No smogg certificate required lots but the NHTSA and the US custom has have to find it among the permitted importation to US in their list of VINs. As soon as you enter your car, the US custom will label your car with the "red" tag and give you 6 months to have this vehicle meet US standards. And at the same time, they would suggest you to take it out of country. I had "imported" a right hand Toyota Celica once when I was foolish into the states, They gave me the dreaded 'Red " tag good for only 6 months, tried to start the _certification_ and it is a nightmare ! I gave up, sold it to a Canadian citizen and he is right now driving perhaps only right hand "Celica" in Canada all legalised ! So my advise for you is, _ Forget it_ a waste of time and your valued money...Buy a Fiat Cincuccento or 500, very modern ones roaming the streets here!

Its complicated-
if it wasnt ever sold in the USA, then it may not be possible to ever get it registered there- but that depends on the car.

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/

Unless you are taking it there as a furniture for your house, it is not worth the hassle (unless you have plenty of money to throw away).

Back