Can I Marry My Argentine Partner While I Am Visiting?

ArgentineAmor

Registered
Okay, here's the deal. I lived in BA for many years and am in long distance relationship with an Argentine. I had to move back to the US for work, but he remains in BA.

I will be visiting him soon for a couple of weeks. During this time I would like to propose marriage to him. I'll be entering as a regular tourist and will not be staying or seeking residency. I have read much about marriage on these forums, but the topic is usually related to people who are residents / or planning on becoming residents. Neither is the case for me.

This page outlines the requirements for marriage: http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/solicitar-turno-registro-civil
My question is with the following:

¿Qué se necesita para iniciar el trámite?

Ser solteros y mayores de 18 años y con DNI y/o Cédula del Mercosur de ambos contrayentes, donde al menos uno de ellos debe acreditar domicilio en la Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires, que debe constar en el DNI como último domicilio. Todos los documentos deben ser bien legibles y estar en condiciones los números perforados. Los extranjeros solteros, mayores de 18 años, con DNI argentino vigente, como así también la residencia precaria o permanente en iguales condiciones."

I do not have a DNI or any kind of permanent residency. But I believe I have read on this forum that "even a tourist visa" counts as a form of residency for the purpose of marriage eligibility. Could someone please confirm this?

Also do I need to bring my criminal records with me, or is that only for seeking residency? How about a medical exam?
Am I missing anything?

Finally, we are both males. I believe that does not make any difference in terms of Argentine law. Of course it does in terms of US immigration law. I am waiting for DOMA to hopefully be struck down this summer, at which point, we'll apply to get a fiancee visa. My thinking is that it will be much easier to prove our relationship to the State Department if we are already married in Argentina.

Any thoughts on that would be much appreciated as well.

Thank you everyone for helping with whatever information you can provide. I am actually active on this forum, but created a new account for the purpose of asking this question as I would not like to let the cat out of the bag in terms of my intentions regarding this subject :)

You can marry with just your passport, but you may be short on time.

You usually have to start the process a month ahead of time (go to the registro, reserve the date, get the paperwork done, get blood test, etc.) You don't need a background check, birth certificate, or medical records from your home country to get married. They will have you get a physical and blood test done at a public hospital here. That and your passport is all you should need.

Ideally you would want to pursue residency after getting married, but it's not absolutely necessary especially if you won't be living here. They do expect married couples to live together though - at least that's what I was told. Maybe when filling out the paperwork you can claim his residence as your own.

Okay, here's the deal. I lived in BA for many years and am in long distance relationship with an Argentine. I had to move back to the US for work, but he remains in BA.

I will be visiting him soon for a couple of weeks. During this time I would like to propose marriage to him. I'll be entering as a regular tourist and will not be staying or seeking residency. I have read much about marriage on these forums, but the topic is usually related to people who are residents / or planning on becoming residents. Neither is the case for me.

This page outlines the requirements for marriage: http://www.buenosair...-registro-civil
My question is with the following:

¿Qué se necesita para iniciar el trámite?

Ser solteros y mayores de 18 años y con DNI y/o Cédula del Mercosur de ambos contrayentes, donde al menos uno de ellos debe acreditar domicilio en la Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires, que debe constar en el DNI como último domicilio. Todos los documentos deben ser bien legibles y estar en condiciones los números perforados. Los extranjeros solteros, mayores de 18 años, con DNI argentino vigente, como así también la residencia precaria o permanente en iguales condiciones."

I do not have a DNI or any kind of permanent residency. But I believe I have read on this forum that "even a tourist visa" counts as a form of residency for the purpose of marriage eligibility. Could someone please confirm this?

Also do I need to bring my criminal records with me, or is that only for seeking residency? How about a medical exam?
Am I missing anything?

Finally, we are both males. I believe that does not make any difference in terms of Argentine law. Of course it does in terms of US immigration law. I am waiting for DOMA to hopefully be struck down this summer, at which point, we'll apply to get a fiancee visa. My thinking is that it will be much easier to prove our relationship to the State Department if we are already married in Argentina.

Any thoughts on that would be much appreciated as well.

Thank you everyone for helping with whatever information you can provide. I am actually active on this forum, but created a new account for the purpose of asking this question as I would not like to let the cat out of the bag in terms of my intentions regarding this subject :)

I got married in Olavarría on a tourist visa 30-plus years ago, and the Registro Civil's main concern was that they wondered whether I understood Spanish well enough (I did, though it's much better now).

Is this inquiry about Matrimonio Igualitario? may be faster?

Thank you, folks. It looks like we can initiate the process online. I have a month before my visit. I imagine if we have the appointment set, I can do the physical while I'm down there? I love how genuinely helpful expats in Argentina are. Thanks again!

Also -- if anyone has any insight or thoughts on the benefits of being married in Argentina in terms of applying for the K1 fiancee visa, that would be much appreciated. Does it even make a difference? Or is proof of having been in the relationship for over 2 years sufficient (we can provide proof of co-habitation, etc for the past several years) I suppose the US embassy would understand my need to move back to the US for work. I just wonder how much it would help our case to have something signed in Argentina ahead of time.

You'll need to coordinate very carefully, especially with the blood test. You'll have to go to a public hospital to get the blood test done. I don't think the K1 fiance visa is a big deal. If you haven't been living together, I recommend that you do the K1 fiance visa, as that sounds like more for your particular situation than the marriage visa does.

You can try to do this and it might go fine, however the idea of expecting anything involving red tape here to go smoothly as planned is quite risky. I only had a tourist visa at the time of my marriage- so that's no problem. Remember to allow time for official translations of any needed documents. They'll give you an appointment for a blood test when you hand over your paperwork - and it is fairly quick. Look up the registro civil in the zone where his DNI is registered and talk to them directly about all this. Ask if they require apostiles, legalizing the documents internationally for Argentina, as that part would need to be done in the US. You might consider proposing long distance so your partner could help in person.

Good luck!!

Apparently as tourists you can go through the whole "trámite" in 5 days: http://enargentina.about.com/od/turismogayfriendly/a/Celebra-Tu-Matrimonio-Gay-En-Argentina.htm

http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/Capital-turistas-extranjeros-casarse-expres_0_702529841.html

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/noticias/podran-casarse-extranjeros-en-transito

Here´s another experience that might help you -

After double checking with the registry office etc, we were told that the tourist doesn´t need their passport translated but may require the photocopies to be certified.

You can request a date and time for the wedding a month before hand, online. Then the end documents tell you everything that you need to do in the week leading up to the wedding. As you are not from a spanish speaking country, the application online automatically asks for the name etc of the translator (without asking whether you are fluent or not). It will also ask for the witnesses´ information too.

The medical test HAS to be done exactly 7 days before the registry office date (you are given a list of places and the date on which you need to do it, but not a specific appointment time when you do the application online). It is my understanding that you can just turn up with the documents that you print off when you do the online application and the hospital will do the tests.

Then you are required to show your originals and copies of all documents that you need, at the registry office, 3 days before the date.

I second EricLovesBA. Considering long distance proposing because it is a HUGE help having a local when it comes to jumping through hoops and running around. And talk directly to the registro civil located in your novio´s barrio. That said, maybe with all the changes making it super quick for tourists to get married, you guys might be able to turn it around super quickly. Best of luck and congratulations on taking the journey :)

Back