Can I write a U.S. check to my B.A. bank account?

A&A

Registered
My chase bank says that I can write myself a check to avoid transfer fees, but will the B.A. banks accept them? Anyone have any experience with this.

I tried to do a search, but "check" is too often associated with visa runs, I couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks.

A&A said:
My chase bank says that I can write myself a check to avoid transfer fees, but will the B.A. banks accept them? Anyone have any experience with this.

I tried to do a search, but "check" is too often associated with visa runs, I couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks.
They will accept them, usually, but, they will will charge you approx. a $50 USD fee just to cash the check and they might take weeks to do so.

A&A said:

Thanks.

That is the trouble with N.American English, if you search cheque you will have more sucsess.:rolleyes:

Go to CASA PIANO in San Martin St, you will leave it for a week or so, then they pay cash and discount a 1 1/2 percent only, it is the best deal for now.

A related question: how can a foreigner fund a local bank account in BsAs? So far, I have brought in cash from overseas, and also used ATMs to get cash from my overseas account and then deposit it into my Argentine account.

But my bank in the US said they could not wire money directly to my Argentine bank account, because of the central bank of Argentina's exchange controls.

I understand that Migraciones now wants actual evidence of overseas income being deposited into an Argentine bank account, when a resident visa is renewed annually. Is the ATM route the way most people go, in practice? (Or Casa Piano, as mentioned by Henry above). Ideally, I'd like to set up a standing order for my overseas bank to just send a monthly wire, but it seems not possible from what I've been told. Thanks.

Back