Can Tourists Take Out US Dollars in Uruguay?

jb5

Registered
Is it possible for tourists to get US dollars from ATMs or their own bank accounts (Citi, HSBC) in Uruguay?

I've had success with an HSBC account at almost all ATMs in uruguay.

Yes, you can take dollars out from any ATM machine in Uruguay.

Take usd from ATM then exchange at local gambio to uruguayan peso..better spending power than take uruguay peso directly.

elclandestino said:
In Uruguay, yep, sure

It's an open and fairly ordered country

They make a living from that...

Fiscal paradises according to the OECD

Uruguay is considered a fiscal paradise in South America, since it adopted a banking policy of fiscal and secret exoneration to attract investments.

I'll continue to take it a little more offtopic.

Uruguay is still a good place for financials especially compared to Argentina but they recently got strongarmed by the OECD in particular into tax info sharing agreements amongst other stuff. They share tax info with other countries now. The other one is if the USA wants to investigate terrorism and also for general crimes.

There's still more privacy than many places but it's really not that great any more.

It doesn't really effect criminals - they use companies and hide behind them. It really just effects the ordinary people who can't afford company incorporation fees like expats from countries with a global tax policy who try to tax things like your Argentine income.

Because of this it can be very hard for US citizens to get a bank account in Uruguay. Most uruguayan banks just don't want the hassle of uncle sam.

There should be more info on Uruguay account here. I looked into it as a way to avoid all the hassle needed for an Argentine account but it was hard to get the details. I found the BROU bank seemed very cheap but that made me suspicious and I don't know where their investments are, or how well capitalised as to how well protected they are from economic problems.
The other thing about BROU is that they are the national bank so info sharing is a lot quicker, not a good one if you want some privacy.

Anyone know anything about merchant accounts either?

Regards the original question,
be aware that many places are fussy about the condition of the notes. You might need to give them an iron!

What is the daily limit? Does it matter what US bank you have? What are the fee's for withdrawing and using the ATM machine?

Why don t you just open a bank account in Uruguay, you make a wire transfer bank/bank and then you have no limit?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
That´s how argentines use Uruguay for sending money to Switzerland.
The dollar controls are for taking away dollars, not for incoming with them.
Regards

Back