Can you apply for a Work/Student Visa after entering on a Tourist Visa?

jaimito

Registered
The title says it all. I may have a job offer lined up as early as October (fingers crossed US citizens are allowed to enter the country at that point). Is this a legitimate way to begin this tramite or is it necessary to do it from the Embassy or a consulate in the US?

Thank you all in advance!

Yes, it shouldn't be a problem! You wouldn't be applying for a "visa" but residence (and a DNI) on the grounds of work or studies.

You have to enter in a tourist visa anyways. Then you go to the immigration office and wait in line forever with a bunch of Venezuelans and Bolivians. 6+ months later you might get your dni.

Then you go to the immigration office and wait in line forever with a bunch of Venezuelans and Bolivians.
Interesting fact: if you go to Migraciones on Av. Antartida in Retiro there is a separate building out back across the courtyard that deals exclusively with non-mercosur immigrant turnos. They even have seats for you to sit and wait forever to be called. The main building however is where you have standing lines that last forever and where the Venezuelan and Bolivian (and other Mercosur) must wait.

I did the same. You will enter Argentina initially as a tourist (bring job offer / pre-employment agreement in hand just incase, but don't show it on arrival unless asked) then once you are here it is actually recommended and easier to start the residency process rather than attempting it from abroad. Just make sure you have all your documents certified at home before coming as it will make the process of getting your precaria faster. If you are unfamiliar with Argentina I suggest getting a lawyer / gestor to help you through the process as there are a few local documents you will need to obtain once you are here that can be a little frustrating to do the first time, as can dealing with Migraciones. They can also give you advice on what documents to bring from home (mainly apostilled criminal record certificate from countries you are from and lived recently, which must be no more than 6 months old at the time of granting the residency I think - I remember having to do this step again because it "expired" after I submitted it and before Migraciones got around to issuing the precaria.)

You have to enter in a tourist visa anyways. Then you go to the immigration office and wait in line forever with a bunch of Venezuelans and Bolivians. 6+ months later you might get your dni.

During Quarantine immigration doesn't work..?
However if later on you engage a Gestor $ he will send a trainee to jump ahead of all the lines and go chat, shake hands with immigration clerks, can't share a mate bombilla, but will deliver media lunas.. After that you sit and wait for the DNI delivery via correo Argentino. If you have a cooperating Portero you are lucky (give him an Aguinaldo) . If no Portero ,,! uhm keep an ear open for the buzzer..! Every day monday to saturday.

My wife and I did all the paperwork in 2016 for a rentista residency through the Argentine consulate in our city. I'm glad we went that route. They were super helpful and allowed me to do all the translations myself, no certified translator needed, unlike in Argentina. I think it's a much easier process to go through in the US. All we had to do once we got here was go and get our picture taken for our DNI and wait a couple of weeks for it to come.

Yes an important lesson here is to have the a guy do all the work for you. I've been in both the huge ass long line building and the sit down building (I've stood and sat in both ironically). If you have the rep with you, they basically grease palms and bullshit with the staff to get you up to bat sooner. Even with the runner, the process has taken up to 5 hours before only to be told they can't do it today because the paperwork isn't right. The first time only took me about 3 or 4 hours. Make sure you bring something to do while you're there, water is also helpful. Last time I was there they kicked all the vendors out for some reason. Or maybe there was a vendor union manifestation at the obelisko. Who knows?

ThenI had to go across town to deal with a lady that wrote something in the necronomicom with a quill pen from Amerigo Vespucci's private collection. I signed it, didn't know what the fuck was going on.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, seems like a yes!

Back