Can you take a bicycle on the bus? Is Lomas Del Mirador safe?

G A Cro

Registered
Hi all! This is my first thread!

I have a quick question. I am going down to Lomas Del Mirador to pick up a bicycle. I am not sure how ridable it will be (otherwise I would ride home).

Can any of you tell me if drivers will permit me to take a bicycle on the bus (provided it is during slow hours)?

If I can't, can you recommend another way of getting a bike back to Palermo?

Another question. The bike is located in Lomas Del Mirador. Do any of you have experience with this neighbourhood? Is it generally safe-ish?

Thanks!

Lomas Del Mirador is a long way from Palermo (use google maps to see how far).

In four years in CF I never once saw a bicycle on a bus. Even busses that were almost empty when I got on were almost always full at some point (if the ride was long enough). Baby strollers are permitted but they take up a lot of space...even when folded.

I never took a bus quite as far as you are considering. Lomas Del Mar is on the other side of Av. General Paz! (I've been to Liniers.)

That being said, if you are up for a long ride and dress down you should be OK in the middle of the day (unless the bike looks expensive). You will be riding through a lot of unfamiliar territory.

Bikes are permitted on some train cars, I suggest that you do some research and find the train lines that might make the return trip easier...and safer.

If it's a more expensive bike, it might be worth paying for a remis.

Biking alone in Liniers is very dangerous. You'll get robbed or your bicycle will most likely get stolen. You can take bikes on the trains; I've done it several times but there's always a risk involved. Call a radio taxi company and tell them you have a bicycle to transport and to send a camioneta. You can always take the front wheel off the bicycle to fit it inside the taxi.

I have never seen a bike on a bus here before. I do not believe that any bus driver would let you on with the bike.

I would recommend that you take a remise there and back. A remise will only charge 10 to 20 percent of the first trip for the return trip, so it would be cheaper than taking a taxi.

Safety may be a problem there. I agree with the comment above that its not safe to bike in linears, the same goes to matadores. The entire area there, on either side of general paz is pretty shady. I wouldn't recommend riding through there.

I'm still quite new to the city. What exactly is a remise, and how would I go about securing one?

Any estimate of what it might cost to get from Palermo to Lomas Del Mirador?

Will the driver take me there and simply wait outside?

Thanks again!

G A Cro said:
I'm still quite new to the city. What exactly is a remise, and how would I go about securing one?

Thanks again!

Remise is a taxi that isn't black and yellow and that you have to arrange in advance. You call a remise company and they send a car to pick you up. You can also arrange to then be picked up later from that location.

In other countries they might be called a "car service".

va2ba said:
I have never seen a bike on a bus here before. I do not believe that any bus driver would let you on with the bike..

That might depend on how you do it. Asking to bring your bike on the bus would be a definite no-no.
However you might get away with stripping the whole thing down, hanging the parts on straps all around your body and, crying out in your most stridently, gravelly voice, 'repuestos para bicis, diez pesos!' elbowing your way on board.

G A Cro said:

Thanks again!

Okay, given that you are still finding out how the city works, it might be worth asking, how did you come to know about this bike and how much do you know about the person who is offering it? Most likely scenario is that it is just someone who doesn't cycle any more or a bike nut getting rid of a surplus machine and that you meet, do the exchange and that's that. But be aware that using adverts as a means of tricking their way into your apartment to rob you or tricking you into going somewhere else - that's right - in order to rob you, isn't unknown. So take care: it would be nice to have you around here a little bit longer.

Yes, if you haven't already paid for it, it could be more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps you can get it delivered for less risk.

Back