Can you undo a signed rental contract?

lieke

Registered
We just signed a one years rental contract in US dollars for $4000.
We did not move in the apartment yet, but already paid 3 months rent in advance. Is there a way to undo the contract?

Rental Contracts written in dollars are null and void at birth.

lieke said:
We just signed a one years rental contract in US dollars for $4000.
We did not move in the apartment yet, but already paid 3 months rent in advance. Is there a way to undo the contract?

Not unless you plan on prying the money out of the owner's cold dead hands. No one refunds anything in Argentina.

The Argentine lawyer who got me 10,000 pesos for injuries suffered in a traffic accident when the insurance company first offered me $100 also told me that if I was a foreigner anything I signed (even when they gave me the check for $10,000) had to be legally translated into English to be enforceable.

According to him, that meant I could sue for more because anything I signed AS A FOREIGNER was not legally binding (on me).

steveinbsas said:
The Argentine lawyer who got me 10,000 pesos for injuries suffered in a traffic accident when the insurance company first offered me $100 also told me that if I was a foreigner anything I signed (even when they gave me the check for $10,000) had to be legally translated into English to be enforceable.

Acording to him, that meant I could sue for more because anything I signed AS A FOREIGNER was not legally binding (on me).

Hhahaha, if you and I were in the same room with a judge I bet I could prove to the the judge you understand Spanish. :D I'm sure a good lawyer could do this also. You'd have to really be able to keep a straight face.

I'm not a good enough actor to try that strategy.

At one time, contracts written for anything other than pesos were illegal (2003-2005 or so). All dollar amounts were converted to pesos in the contract. I believe the law has changed but I am not up on that.

el_expatriado said:
Hhahaha, if you and I were in the same room with a judge I bet I could prove to the the judge you understand Spanish. :D I'm sure a good lawyer could do this also. You'd have to really be able to keep a straight face.

I'm not a good enough actor to try that strategy.

Look into my eyes...

You are getting sleepy...

You are too tired to know the meaning of proof...

All of my posts here are in English....

No puedo hablar la idioma de nuestra pais.

OOPS!!! :D

Yes, I am a certified hypnotherapist :eek:

elalancito said:
At one time, contracts written for anything other than pesos were illegal (2003-2005 or so). All dollar amounts were converted to pesos in the contract. I believe the law has changed but I am not up on that.

Certain contracts were pesified, but not everything. I believe residential mortgages for example were pesified, but I don't think commercial loans were.

I don't know where you are from but if the US, you would lose something if you broke a contract, wouldn't you? I suppose you can always get out of a contract at a price. The terms are usually stated in the contract. Contracts work two ways -- for the owner and the renter. Both parties should comply with the agreement.

Back