Canada vs US (for duel citizens)

legilber

Registered
I´ve been pondering a question since I was old enough to remember about living in the States vs Canada. I´m a duel citizen and can thus go anywhere I want and want to see if there are any others out there that have questioned the same this.

I´m a fanatic of Investopedia and today I read an article about the Canadian economy and how over the past 20 years it has grown very strong. I´m sure any other duels have noticed the increase in the loonie value compared to the US dollar. The other day I checked and they were at 99-100, so bascially equal.

I won´t be going back for awhile but if you could choose, as far as jobs, cost of living, quality of life, etc, which would you choose: Canada or the United States?

Canada, by a country mile.

The atmosphere here is positive, national housing prices here are $100,000 more than the US and unemployment is low. Housing defaults are around 1/2 of one percent, compared to who-know-what in the US, where around one-third of the houses are under water.

Sure, we have different policies, the main one that I used to envy was the fact that Americans could write-off their mortage interest, but the net result, as we know, is that people used their homes as banks. Canadians have as their main goal the idea of paying off their mortgage. Besides that, the lending was much stricter and honest. The banking system has been recognized as the best in the world, and the net result of that is that people psychologically feel confidence in their country's policies.

Canada doesn't have the same amount of extremely rich or extremely poor people. The education is far superior, as well, ranking in the top 10 of the 70 OCED (initial order?) countries, where the US is in the mid-twenties. Completion rate for high school in my province, British Columbia, is 92%. This in an extremely multicultural environment where around 40% of Vancouver is multicultural, so no one can use the race card.

Besides that it's not such a consumer nation. We notice it when we go to the states to shop - which I will admit has better deals than Canada. Instead of offering one pair of shoes at xx off they want you to buy 3 pairs at xxx off. Who needs three pairs at once? I bet the average American wouldn't need to shop for ten years. Of course we are not talking style, but who needs style if you don't have a roof over your head.

We have been traveling for 3 years - 45 countries and of course have talked to dozens of Americans and become close friends with a few. The general mood that Americans express is discouragement. One set of friends tell me that in Cleveland there are 70,000 vacant houses! What is that about?

I could go on, but that's enough to start. I won't even mention the IRS and the fear that many people have about that. And the government and the debt. I'lll stop here.

Mahara

Bah! It's all in the eye of the beholder. The U.S. is so darn big that you can find somewhere enjoyable to live. I'd love to live in Canada for a while, just for the experience. But the U.S. is not all doom-and-gloom as some would have you believe.

dual, not duel ;)

As for the rest - both nice options. Lots of great places to live in both countries.

I think over time both countries are pretty close. Right now Canada looks better due to the fact they weren't impacted all that much by the financial crisis. The big thing Canada has going for it is that there are lots of natural resources and a small population. The commodity boom has been very helpful to the economy. The economy should continue to due well as long as commodity prices stay high(if they fall significantly look out). The economic problems in the U.S. are apparent and at best they are having a slow recovery. The problems in Canada today would include a major housing bubble (which is bound to pop at some point), higher cost of living, higher taxes than the U.S. Both countries are the others biggest trading partner so the two are somewhat intertwined economically. It might be easier to find a job in Canada today but this could be different in a few years. The schools in Canada may be better overall I don't know, however when you think of leading universities many pop into your head that are American, can't think of any from Canada. I can't quote any statistics but my gut impression is that the U.S. is a more dynamic and innovative culture overall. Both are fine countries and you would likely do well in either, just depends on what you want.

citygirl said:
dual, not duel ;)

As for the rest - both nice options. Lots of great places to live in both countries.

Haha, thanks!! That´s what you get for only writing/speaking/listening to spanish all day long. You´d be surprised at how awful my english is now..

citygirl said:
dual, not duel ;)

lol I saw the same -- though Duelling Citizenships makes for an amusing image!

legilber said:
You´d be surprised at how awful my english is now..

No judgment here - my English is in exactly the same shape.:( I constantly have to proof my emails and on important ones, I make someone in the US proof them as well.

jeje and sorry for pointing it out but the dueling citizens made me giggle as well! I like my Canadian friends:D

With out a doubt in my mind, best run economy on the Planet: Canada.

Did some traveling with my Canadian sister and could not help but notice she affixed a Maple Leaf to about everything she was carrying. Looked like a walking Maple Leaf. Thought it was a patriotic thing. However, my wonderful sister informed me it was not a patriotic thing. She wanted to insure that no one would mistake her for being one of those "war mongering" Americans like me. Where's the love? Did not remind her she worked for an American company in Canada. That about summarizes Canadian/American relations, Eh.:)

Back