Canadian tourist drowns in Iguazú Falls

Sad either way but my empirical experience says it's a likely suicide; you have to either want to go over the bars or somehow manage to trip vertically. I remember the rangers giving people shit for sitting up on the fails for selfies but that's not something you'd expect a 60 yo to do

The articles say he was trying to take selfies and fell over the rails.

The articles say he was trying to take selfies and fell over the rails.
Oof; I hadn't seen that in the article I read, well, as I said, the Park Rangers were quite clear about not doing that when my friends and I visited, looks like for good reason sadly...

One of the local papers from Misiones Province posted a photo of the man already in the water going by.
It doesn't look like the stranger is struggling to get out or calling for help. It looks more like the man is walking and already resigned to his fate.

Last edited:
It can happen that way. Six years ago I visited a waterfall in Tarapoto, Peru. Three tourist groups arrived at roughly the same time, each led by a poorly equipped local guide. A few of us climbed to the highest of three cascades on quite dangerous ladders; adrenaline can take over in magical places. One turned to pose for a photo while descending and fell to his death. My travelling companion, the principal witness (because she was sitting beside the girlfriend taking the photo), saw him slip, hit his head on the rocks below, and then roll into the pool beneath the cascade. Of the fifty or so people present, only myself, the three guides and a couple of others knew how to swim. After a few minutes, it was evident that we were trying in vain; it took divers until the following day to find him at the bottom of the pool. The travel company rang my companion that night saying the police wanted a witness statement. But they never got in touch again. At the airport the next evening, we encountered the girlfriend again. The whole thing had been covered up, with the tour company paying for the coffin and the plane fares to make the problem go away. We attended the burial the next afternoon in dusty cemetery high above Lima's northern suburbs. A young woman stationed there all day under a thatched structure said a few words, pausing to ask the young man’s name to insert it into her set spiel. The tomb builders didn’t deliver the cement structure in time, and everyone had to trudge even higher carrying the coffin to an unused temporary niche. A pitiful sight all around.

Back