Canned Seafood

polostar88

Registered
Like anchovies or sardines...imported, where can you get this? Carrefour only seems to have national.

Would you trust Argentine sardines and anchovies?

What about canned seafood from Chile, is it to be trusted.

On Santa Fe and Julian Alvarez? Like all other seafood shops in Buenos Aires it has a limited selection of bad-looking fish. It doesn't look fresh, or it looks like it was not properly frozen. I won't eat "fresh" seafood in Buenos Aires anymore, only canned. Just not sure what canned seafood to trust.

I get great fish and seafood from Jumbo Palermo. Also from Mellino in Caballito. If you go on Wednesdays to barrio chino in Belgrano, they have very fresh fish and seafood. Have you have any bad experiences? Where are you shopping?

I like argentine anchovies just fine. I love the large white ones like the kind I used to have in Naples

I've been buying fresh salmom at Ostramar for years and it's been fine.
Until recently, I was buying canned Jumbo brand sardines at Disco. They are no longer being sold at jumbo or Disco I bought canned sardines at Ostramar. They have absolutely no taste.

I buy mine at Coto. It has the Coto brand on it but if look at the packaging the Sardines in Olive Oil has "Country of Origin: Spain". excellent.
The Yellow Fin Tuna also Coto brand has Thailand as the Country of Origin. excellent. Both about 20 pesos.
Bahia brand Sardines are very good also,... they come from Brazil. But not always easy to find.

I hadn't been in Argentina for a while but I remember last year I could buy canned Spanish seafood (two or three varieties of fish besides non-Spanish tuna and anchovies) at some of those few proper grocery stores "almacenes" around centro/monserrat. In Recoleta they've (d)evolved into pretty decent wine stores that might also sell nutella, better chocolate, etc (even maple syrup!) but no fish. I wonder if the ones in other barrios have already gone broke or just stopped importing Spanish canned fish.
Also, Barrio Chino! (!) :)

I buy mine at Coto. It has the Coto brand on it but if look at the packaging the Sardines in Olive Oil has "Country of Origin: Spain". excellent.
The Yellow Fin Tuna also Coto brand has Thailand as the Country of Origin. excellent. Both about 20 pesos.
Bahia brand Sardines are very good also,... they come from Brazil. But not always easy to find.

The Coto brand tuna is from Bumble Bee...!! in Thailand.

how are you guys eating yr canned fish/seafood.

May I have some recipee, please?

do you wash it before eating?

what do you do with the oil on it?

Back