Canning/Jarring supplies?

MizzMarr

Registered
Hi everybody. I'm interested in learning how to make my own preserves, salsa, spaghetti sauce jam, etc., and preserving them via heat seal/water bath (not sure of the terminology, am just starting to learn) in glass jars, but haven't a clue about where to buy the (mason) jars, lids, rings, etc. Can anybody help??

Thanks in advance!

I'm interested in the same. My desire to make apple chutney after purchasing said product from the British Embassy's Christmas Fair led to me buying a proper chef's knife, which got me into cooking.

INFO:

The restaurant supply/ cooking supply part of town is "Jujuy" (Pueyrredon continued) from San Juan to Juan de Garay. In addition to at least 4 fireworks stores, you'll find lots of cooking supplies. I guarantee that they'll have the jars, but if you can figure out what to call the hot water bath for sealing the jars, I'd be very grateful.

Fun! A couple weeks ago I made a really good kinoto marmelade! There wasn't really enough to preserve. But I've always been interested in canning. My mother used to make harissa & peach jam.

For a water bath, you can use a regular large pan to seal the jars. You don't need a special one.

I haven't seen canning jars (frascos de conservas) but I haven't been looking. I have seen the jars like the ones you get at the supermarket, with that push in seal. But I'm not sure if you need some sort of apperatus for those as the thing below sold near them.
29318_124205670936831_100000421963931_220254_5760114_n.jpg

If you don't find them in Jujuy restaurant section, they have them on Mercado Libre.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll have to go check out the cooking area on Jujuy--I'm curious to see if the costs for the jars are prohibitive, or if it just makes sense to work in small batches and make stuff that freezes. I did a quick poke around Mercado Libre and saw some expensive jars that look like they might be the "canning" variety, but a lot of jars being sold as frascos de conservas are basically nescafe or campagnola jars with the labels removed and screw tops--crazy. Not bad if you're looking for dry good storage, but certainly not going to preserve any homemade jams.

Napoleon, I'm learning about all this for the first time, but I did come across some decent online resources. If I do find the jars I want will also need a thermometer to make sure we don't can up some botulism. Here are the links that I found to some "basics" for water bath canning:

http://scienceblogs.com/casaubonsbook/2010/05/water_bath_canning_101.php
http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/canning.htm

I'd be curious to hear how any experiments go. And YUM I bet kinoto marmelade was delicious!

When you search on ML you have drill down at the top next to location there is nuevo/usado. Click on nuevo otherwise, yes, you get jars that have already been used.
The new ones weren't too expensive on ML 1.50-3 pesos. But I don't know how many you have to buy at once.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar...hexagonales-vidrio-190cc-con-tapa-envases-_JM
this one is per package of 24:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-93071774-frascos-de-vidrio-_JM

but again, you'll have to look up how to seal those. if you can do in it in the hot water bath.

There has to be some place in capital to buy them. Maybe ask at Dona Clara or something. I'll keep my eyes open.

When canning, I always use jars with a two piece lid- a metal ring, which is reusable, and a flat metal top with a rubber sealer mounted on it.
These rubber sealer plates are only used once.

The actual jar makes no difference at all, as long as your lid fits the threads properly.

The heating in boiling water causes a vacuum to occur in the jar, and the rubber washer seals the lid tightly- this is what keeps bad bacteria and growing things out.

http://www.pickyourown.org/canningjars.htm

There are also jars with metal wire clamps that hold glass lids on, but these are very hard to find in the USA these days- you mostly see them on very high end european foods.

here is more what you are looking for-
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar...hermeticos-kilner-jar-ingleses-excelentes-_JM

you might try asking these guys-
http://www.mil-envases.com.ar/index.php
house of 1000 jars- they ought to know who sells them if they dont.

I have found that due to the vagaries of Industria Argentina, its much less intuitive and simple to just google stuff here-
even things like todar.com.ar tend to have a lot of gaps.

Many many companies dont bother to have websites, or are solo mayor, or just still operate like they did 50 or 100 years ago.
So, when trying to find things, you can just sit at home in your underwear and type. You need to actually go out and talk to people, or, at a minimum, call em on the phone and talk. In person is better, though- they take you more seriously that way.
There is usually, in Argentina, a series of old family owned businesses that make most anything- but they take tracking down.

Well, I've been reading about canning in those regular jars I mentioned above. It seems that for "home canning" they are not a good idea. I still haven't found out how they are sealed. I image it's with a machine or something that is available in a commercial environment.

So, we are back on our search for the canning jars with the two piece tops. I'll ask at the kitchen store near my work.

Thanks Ries and Mini! I appreciate the extra guidance, I'll do some additional digging around and definitely want to look for the two piece lids. The ones that Ries sent via mercado libre are a bit pricier than what I want to pay, but it's a great place to start (and at least I know that what I'm looking for is sold here). Cheers!

I'd just like to endorse all the good advice already given on this thread and say that, in my experience, if you concentrate one hundred percent on cleanliness, hygene and sterilisation then there is almost nothing that can go wrong. I use ordinary two pound and one pound jam jars with the usual pressed steel lid incorporating a plastic seal because I'm too cheap to go and buy the proper Mason or Kilner jars - though the 'real thing' looks much more impressive and if you are giving away or selling the product it looks much more professional.

Depending on what I am bottling or preserving I will either bake my jars in a low oven or boil them in water (filling them with water and boiling in a microwave oven is good too) and I always pour freshly boiling water over the inside of the lid immediately before sealing. Always cook, blanche or sterilise the contents and then if the lid 'clicks' down when the jar cools then you know that the vacuum is good and if you want to, the contents can be kept for years.

Nowadays I bottle fruit with no added sugar so that when I use the contents I can add some sugar or none at all according to the recipe. However, sugar is an excellent preservative and I'd recommend a beginner to start with sugar-rich preserving or jam making until they have the proof that their own hygene regime doesn't require it. I also air dry things like apple rings and mushrooms when I get the opportunity and I preserve other things in salt too.

Freezing stuff is great but when I was growing up the electricity supply was less then reliable and I guess I'm still a bit wary. But once something has been bottled, dried or salted then it will keep until it is used with no further energy input required.

Thanks NoName,
So, you use the regular jars like the ones I linked to above? Do they "vacuum" seal, I mean does the top get sucked? Do you need the device in my post above to seal the jars? And do you flip them over? (sorry, lots of questions)

Back