Can't Open A Bank Account Without A Job In Argentina.

PhilipDT

Registered
So I finally got my act together and got my temp residency and any day now :lol: :lol: I should be getting my DNI. One of the main reason I went through the hassle was so I could get debit/creidit card with which I could take advantage of the ofertas at my local super. With that in mind I swung by the central HSBC branch today in order to find out what it takes to open an account. They told me that I need a job in Argentina. Si o Si. Doesn't matter that I can prove the legality and origin of the funds I'd be depositing.

Is that really the case or was that just because I went at 2:59 and they wanted me to leave? Anybody opened an account recently? What did you need?

I went to Santander Rio Bank with my temporary residence (precaria), they required permanent residence.?

My wife and I both, both of us having permanent residency, have accounts at Santander Rio and neither of us has a job here (at least not in white). They also never asked us to prove the origin of any funds we have deposited in our account, nor prove where funds we would be depositing at the opening of the accounts.

It could be that the difference is that with a temporary residency you need to have a job as well. Go to Santander and see if they give you the same answer.

Go to Banco de la Nación, the branch that is closest to your legal residence. First, because with what is going on in Argentina, I wouldn't leave my money in any private banks (they can go out of business), and second the account maintenance fees are MUCH cheaper than other banks. It is not required that you have job to open an account there. Tell them you just want a "caja de ahorros" and there is no reason why they shouldn't open in it for you. Bring your DNI, a bill for a service that shows your name and address (gas, electric or cable NOT cell phone).

Second that. The private banks here turn away customers who aren't going to generate them much money. Foreigners are a hassle to deal with and don't generate much income for the banks. Go to Banco Nación and they'll give you account without any issues.

The only banks I would consider these days are: Banco Nación, Banco Ciudad and Banco Provincia. Also Banco Nación charges $35 pesos per month for a savings account for the maintenance fee. I had a savings and checking account with Banco Patagonia (THE WORST MOST HORRIBLE BANK EVER) and they charged me $170 per month for the maintenance fee and when I wanted to close the account they gave me a VERY hard time! I told them they should be called "Banco RATAgonia" and that they are "sanguijuelas" (bloodsuckers).

There is a law that any bank, private or public, must give a savings account FREE to any person, as long as they do not have over $10,000 pesos in the balance.
Banks may not mention this, but it has to be published on any bank wall.
You will need a DNI.
BTW, this is a new law, my husband in 2010 tried to open a bank acount and they wanted to do a HOME VISIT for a savings account (no checking).

There is a law that any bank, private or public, must give a savings account FREE to any person, as long as they do not have over $10,000 pesos in the balance.
Banks may not mention this, but it has to be published on any bank wall.
You will need a DNI.
BTW, this is a new law, my husband in 2010 tried to open a bank acount and they wanted to do a HOME VISIT for a savings account (no checking).

It's called the "cuenta gratuita universal", and yes, it's true if you never have over $10,000 in it there is no charge for it. It's only a savings account, which is usually sufficient for most people here. Checks are rarely used by individuals, and remember there is that nasty 1.2% tax on every check and transaction made in a checking account. It's nuts!

So my DNI expired since i am not working and can not get the work visa DNI anymore...... So does anyone here know of any bank that will open an account without a DNI..... i do have the tax numbers etc.... just not an up to date DNI?? thanks

It seems that the requirements for a 'cuenta corriente' are many more than for a 'savings account'.
See the requirement for both, from the Banco Nacion, site http://www.bna.com.ar :
For cuenta corriente:
  • Documento Nacional de Identidad (D.N.I.)
  • Constancia de CUIT/CUIL/CDI
  • Recibo de Haberes/ Recibo de Jubilación o Pensión (último 6 meses).
  • Factura de Servicios Reciente a Nombre del Solicitante.
  • Situación ante la A.F.I.P. y de corresponder Documentación Respaldatoria.
  • Manifestación de Bienes.
  • Seis Últimos Aportes Autónomos.
  • Verificación del Domicilio.
  • 2 (Dos) Referencias Bancarias.
  • 2 (Dos) Referencias Comerciales.
For Savings:
  • Documento Nacional de Identidad (D.N.I.)
  • Factura de servicios reciente a nombre del solicitante.
  • Constancia de CUIL / CUIT/CDI

Back