Car Shipping Advice from US

dkiefner

Registered
Hey Everyone,

I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you soon! My wife and I are moving to BA from Seattle in mid-March. I have hundreds of questions to ask, but for now, I'd like to get advice on shipping a car from the US.

We'd like to bring our Subaru Outback down as want to spend a few months in different parts of the country and we're big into the outdoors and we have a dog.

I'm leaning towards container shipping, instead of RORO, so that we can bring some additional luggage. We'll be driving across the US (to visit friends along the way), so we can ship out of a few different ports (Miami would be ideal).

Does anyone have recommendations for shipping services? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!

-Dave

I brought my car from the states , granted Im an argentine cit also. A complete and absolute nightmare.
Evergreen , the container company was an absolute nightmare. I was charged US50 for a copy of an invoice that they should have given me anyway . You will ABSOLUTELY be extorted as soon as you hit the first customs counter by employees in US200 silk ties, then its all downhill from there, KNOW you will have your pants pulled down and bent over . KNOW THIS !
Rent a car , it will be cheaper and your ass wont bleed as much

How long are you moving here for? Permanently? If so then it may be worth bringing your own car. We brought our motorcycle on a container from Miami. I have to go hunt down the paperwork for the company name. We had no problem with them. I believe we paid $3000. The problem is over here. It took a week of doing paperowrk and running from one building to another to get it released from customs and then you have to be prepared to pay taxes on it. My husband also had to get permission from the Argentine Consulate in Miami for permission to bring it. I'll get you the name of the company we used later today. They were quite good.

I guess you will be seeing a pattern here! Check this site via the search facility and you will find plenty more threads about attempting to import cars. Most people decide that it isn't really worth their while to bring the vehicle, but those that do invariably have a lot of expense and hassle. You might also search the site for information about buying and selling cars in Argentina: if you are going to be legal residents then it may be easier for you this way. One thing that surprises new residents is that the car market doesn't seem to work like the car market in your home country - regardless of where you come from. The second-hand market value of a car is surprisingly high and you won't lose out when you sell in the way you would at home.

Thanks for the, um... discouraging, feedback! I've read through a ton of old threads on this site, and it does sound like a better option is to buy a car down there, even though it seems preposterous to spend double what a car costs in the US! At least the costs will be partially recouped when selling the car vs. losing the $6-10k for round trip shipping (the move isn’t permanent, but our timeline is TBD). A huge concern was the unwanted attention a newish Subaru would attract and the inevitable damage and break-ins. A 30 year old car will eliminate some of those concerns! Thanks everyone,

Dave

Shipping a car is a lot of trouble, not much return.

Temporary importation let you use the car for 90 days (no tax), I believe Chile and Paraguay would be a less hassle option and then just drive it for the 3 months, before time expires just drive to Uruguay or any neighborg country to renew it. Us plates will shown though. International driver license required for outside Buenos Aires Capital, only obtainable in country of origin. Subaru will not attract much attention, Audi BMW, Mercedez etc. may be. In C F will be fine, there are all kind of expensive cars around the city.

Don't bother. Unless you want to begin your adventure with a very bad experience. If you bring a car, you will have to return with the car. Double shipping do some math. Plus you will have other high cost problems . It's not worth it and the current government is very dedicated to making sure that it's not worth it. ie it's a no win situation.

dkiefner said:
Thanks for the, um... discouraging, feedback! I've read through a ton of old threads on this site, and it does sound like a better option is to buy a car down there, even though it seems preposterous to spend double what a car costs in the US! At least the costs will be partially recouped when selling the car vs. losing the $6-10k for round trip shipping (the move isn’t permanent, but our timeline is TBD). A huge concern was the unwanted attention a newish Subaru would attract and the inevitable damage and break-ins. A 30 year old car will eliminate some of those concerns! Thanks everyone,

Dave

Now you are thinking....

We have our car here. Foreign licence. Every 3 or 4 months you have to leave the country (when you don't have residency); if you have residency you need to renew docs every 8 months. The shipping was not a problem, but don't put anything in the trunk. They made us pay for the old spare tires we put in the trunk.

The car had been here for about 3 years now, and we never regret bringing it, as it is a very comfortable one.

We tried to import it but it would cost us more then a new one. The only way to get out if this temporary status would be to ship it out of the country, and sell it there.

So don't import it, bring it in under foreign license. Then cross the border every 3-4 months.

Back