Carancho = Caracara (it's a bird)

Redpossum

Registered

An interesting story about birds in the city, and also an example of the sometimes unique nature of Spanish in Argentina. Apparently, the bird is called "carancho" only here - the rest of the world seems to call it "caracara", and use the word "carancho" as slang for an unpleasant person. Wikipedia has a page with a nice picture, which appears to be the same bird.

Carancho means scavenger and it is used ro describe those lawyers who are looking for clients at the emergency rooms of hospitals.

Carancho means scavenger and it is used ro describe those lawyers who are looking for clients at the emergency rooms of hospitals.

Hey, Bajo! Good to hear from you. How have you been? :)

In the USA such lawyers are called "ambulance chaser"

An interesting story about birds in the city, and also an example of the sometimes unique nature of Spanish in Argentina. Apparently, the bird is called "carancho" only here - the rest of the world seems to call it "caracara", and use the word "carancho" as slang for an unpleasant person. Wikipedia has a page with a nice picture, which appears to be the same bird.

I see Caracaras all over the city. But I am a bird watcher. I always look up. People here don't look up much. I also see the American Kestral all the time too. A small falcon.

Back