Carry cash via EZE?

MonkeyKing

Registered
With all the banking restrictions is it ok to carry around $3000USD via EZE airport?
Is there a official limit I could bring?
or do stuff it down my pants?

Simple question which has a complex answer. In most countries you may bring in as much cash as you like BUT over a certain limit you have to declare it and account for it's source. Don't declare it and you run the risk of it all being confiscated.

It's not wise to declare large sums of money in Argentina: you are likely to have it taken off you at gunpoint outside the airport or on your way to your destination.

So how much can you bring in without the obligation to declare it? That depends on the limits imposed by the departure country, the arrival country and any countries you transit through. You may arrive in Argentina with up to USD10,000 without declaring it. However if you depart from or transit through Brazil, their limit is 10,000 Reales which is less than USD2000. USA sets a limit of USD10,000 but that is per group travelling together so if you are with another 3 people that's only USD2,500 each.

So, check the limits for your departure and transit countries but in any case, remember that the threshold in Argentina is USD10,000

With all the banking restrictions is it ok to carry around $3000USD via EZE airport?
Is there a official limit I could bring?
or do stuff it down my pants?

Never hide anything when you are going through a customs check point, unless you like the thrill of getting away without being caught hiding something! Be honest, be comfortable = be smart.

Further note: Not all of these customs agents are honest. If you meet the "right one" (That is code for the WRONG ONE!) and you are loaded and they become aware that you are carrying a large amount of money or valuables - They will contact a member of their team (The customs agent is the spotter!) to bird dog you until you are isolated, then rob you.

It's not a rear as you think.

Even though you would be tied to the official exchange rate and perhaps a foreign transaction fee charge (There are some credit cards out there that do not have a FT fee associated with them - so look around.) amounting to a percent or so of the value of your card activity, you best bet for safety / security is to carry a little less cash and use your plastic.

Back