Casual french student in BA

zlash92

Registered
Hi I am Marc from France, staying in BA to study for a year -until july 2013.
I discovered this board while I was reading about blue dollars and planning my trip to Uruguay. As such I am new to the Latin American lifestyle and I am really keen for some fresh expat advices.

Marc

Bienvenu,

Personally, I find Montevideo (Uruguay) particularly depressing on a rainy day.

Ask away and the members will do their best to help you.

A bientôt.

Hi Marc,

I'm an American, a bit of a Francophile, whose not in BA at the moment. Here's some advice for a French guy:

-There's a bar called Merval on Viamonte in the Microcentro. It's a lot like the bar Footsie (or FTSE?) that was on Rue de l'Opera in Paris, in that there is kind of stock market for drinks. There's baby foot (foosball). Pretty fun. There's lots of French people in there, as well as the local ladies who love them (wink, wink). What's nice about it is has a bit of an anglo bar/pub feel in terms of talking with people, so good combo.

-OMG, I wish I'd been French or Italian in BA, though HeyBA did manage to maximize his yanqui charisma. The girls will adore you, just don't try too hard, and politely evaluate the scene with a calm gallic air of analysis. Abortion is illegal (still, right? or is that wrong?), and there's a fair amount of women that wouldn't mind their baby daddy having euros or dollars. They're easy to spot after you've been there awhile. Take precautions. Watch out for some "falling in love" type stuff from more honest BA girls who are really infatuated with the idea of themselves being European enough to land a European guy. If you feel like "you've never been treated like this before," you probably won't be treated like that for very long.

Thanks for you advices HeyBA! I have been told about Argentina wild fauna but I didn't know it was that wild!

Lol I was thinking Argentinians girls don't like Expats

HeyBA said:
Hi Marc,

I'm an American, a bit of a Francophile, whose not in BA at the moment. Here's some advice for a French guy:

-There's a bar called Merval on Viamonte in the Microcentro. It's a lot like the bar Footsie (or FTSE?) that was on Rue de l'Opera in Paris, in that there is kind of stock market for drinks. There's baby foot (foosball). Pretty fun. There's lots of French people in there, as well as the local ladies who love them (wink, wink). What's nice about it is has a bit of an anglo bar/pub feel in terms of talking with people, so good combo.

-OMG, I wish I'd been French or Italian in BA, though HeyBA did manage to maximize his yanqui charisma. The girls will adore you, just don't try too hard, and politely evaluate the scene with a calm gallic air of analysis. Abortion is illegal (still, right? or is that wrong?), and there's a fair amount of women that wouldn't mind their baby daddy having euros or dollars. They're easy to spot after you've been there awhile. Take precautions. Watch out for some "falling in love" type stuff from more honest BA girls who are really infatuated with the idea of themselves being European enough to land a European guy. If you feel like "you've never been treated like this before," you probably won't be treated like that for very long.

I was searching for french-speaking people because I´m interested in doing a language exchange and I came across this post. I´m an argentine girl myself, and I´d like to clarify a few things HeyBsAs wrote:
Regarding the gold-digger comment on argentine ladies:
- Yes, there are a lot of ladies out there searching for rich guys (both argentine and expats). Just like in any other city in the world! Besides, I do not think any argentine woman would expect a French student to be wealthy!
- I can assure that the vast majority of argentine women do not wish to get involved with foreigners and are not looking for some guy with euros/dollars to rescue us. Although we complain a lot about our country, we actually want to stay here (only God knows why). This is supported by the fact that although many of us have EU passports, we are still here :) This leads me to the second topic.
Argentine women infatuated with the idea of being European:
- It´s not just an idea! Many of us have papers and passports stating that we are EU citizens. Many of us have close relatives living in the EU and/or have actually lived there. I have an Italian passport, I lived in 3 EU countries and my mother was born in Italy (plus my father is Spaniard). I am a dual citizen and that´s not “an idea”. Anyone who tells me I´m not European is rather ignorant…
Having said all this, if any francophone out there needs to learn Spanish and is willing to practice some French with me, please let me know! I´m already taking lessons with a great French professor, but I need much more practice. By the way, I´m actually very easy-going...but that post was really so rude...
Thank you!

Argentina is not Europe, and Argentines of European descent are not Europeans. At least not any more so than the cast of Jersey Shore being bona fide Italians. :p Just my opinion.

HeyBA said:
-OMG, I wish I'd been French or Italian in BA, though HeyBA did manage to maximize his yanqui charisma. The girls will adore you, just don't try too hard,.

I have a lot of success with women due to my accent. Unfortunately, they all are 70 years old or more (French used to be teached a lot in Argentina... Not anymore, the younger generations having even difficulties writing in their own language, lol). It always helps too to mention the French belong partly to a Latin culture.

Volver --> you should try to contact this French girl who wants to come to Argentina but needs to practice a lot her castellano. It's in this thread (French expats forum)
http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=186889

There's also (it seems) a weekly gathering in a French bar, le troquet d'Henry --> http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=144957 (I've never been so I don't know if it's crowded or not).

Two years ago, someone on baexpats was organizing French speaking meetings but not anymore (many people leave and will be leaving Argentina)

Back