Cat calling

ArgGuy89

Registered
I was just curious. A friend of mine (she's American) mentioned that she was rather surprised when she came here that guys here "cat call" her on a regular basis. She mentioned that it seems like part of the culture here and coming from the US it makes her somehow uncomfortable occasionally.

I'm a guy and not Argentine so I can't really relate to the same degree and haven't observed it happen enough. To any females out there, have you noticed this happening? If so, what is your take on that?

It does happen --- mostly when a girl walks by a construction area... maybe not so much nowadays (or not so much in my case anymore!).

It's part of the culture, but I understand it must feel awkward if you are coming from a place like the US where even children are taught not to stare (I am a big fan of staring, gawking and head turning - I don't like to pretend that things don't happen or people don't exist)

lol, yes, guys do that instead of whistling :p

it,s very common here,when i am out walking with my wife(who is Argentine)it happens,now I,m used to it and join in!!!it,s not crude at all

happens ALLLL the tiime, construction zone or not. That said, what they say is pretty sweet usually, like Howard says, not crude at all. I've acclimated, but generally still avert eye contact since that just eggs anybody on.

Argentinian people stare a lot, today I got off the Subte together with a very cute girl (petite, but with big boobs) and a 50-year-old guy just passed by, turned his head towards the girl and said out loudly: Pero que hermosa! On a different occasion I saw two guys talking to each other, a very curvy girl passed by, they both stopped talking, looked at her drooling and one of them said: Que mina, che!

HowardinBA said:
it,s very common here,when i am out walking with my wife(who is Argentine)it happens,now I,m used to it and join in!!!it,s not crude at all

I don´t really think that men should react on this subject because they really have no idea what it feels like to be a woman and want to walk down the street without having comments thrown at you with those disgusting up and down undressing-with-my-eyes looks.

All women react differently to this apparently "culturally-accepted" behavoir, some find it um...flattering. Personally, I don´t like be treated like a piece of meat and quite enjoy be able to feel COMFORTABLE in my body and my clothing, which apparently is something that men here don´t want you to feel.

It´s as though they want to remind you every second of the day, no matter where you are, who you are with or what you are wearing that THEY only see your oh-so pretty eyes or gigantic breasts.

Actually, I feel bad for men...they are obliviously rather weak if they can´t keep their minds out of the gutter when a woman crosses their path.

Oh by the way, the men on this forum should really watch how they treat women as well.....I´ve unfortunately seen a lot of harrasing comments.
Gross.

Just a last thought-- it´s rather silly, if you think about it, to justify this behavoir and treatment towards women with the comment "It´s just how the culture is"....Do you justify female circumsion with that comment? Or mass-genocide? Or polluting of lakes and rivers?

How does a gay man have any input into whether women like being harassed?? I agree with Kelly, are men such animals that they can't keep their comments to themselves? They are just so full of raging hormones that they can't control themselves? I would like to give the men here more credit, but its quite difficult.

And the solution to everything isn't just move! You vent about things without people telling you to suck it up so let us do that too.

chilady said:
How does a gay man have any input into whether women like being harassed?? I agree with Kelly, are men such animals that they can't keep their comments to themselves? They are just so full of raging hormones that they can't control themselves? I would like to give the men here more credit, but its quite difficult.

And the solution to everything isn't just move! You vent about things without people telling you to suck it up so let us do that too.
have you ever been on a ladies night out,seen a stripper at a hen party etc?:rolleyes: If so tell me how you reacted,seriously i would like to know.Why shouldn,t GAY men have an opinion either?It,s not only YOUR forum Chilady,sorry

Back