CDI Only for buying lproperty?

jago25_98

Registered
I'm thinking of buying some land north of Mendoza.

But I don't want to register for tax unless I have to. What's the minimum I need?

CDI only? -or need the full CUIT or a CUIL?

All you need is the CDI and your passport, but when you get the CDI (from AFIP) you will be registering for taxes.

Gracias Stevie, Claro :)

I guess I was hoping the ID card was just for ID. Darn!

...only interested as I believe I need a DNI to dodge the massive capital gains tax levied on foreign companies buying land....

I read somewhere that to apply you just show proof you live somewhere and a police officer comes to verify it(!). However, elsewhere I see I need birth cert, police, bank, passport (stamped / i dotted etc). This isn't too bad but it's a shame to link my British identity to the CDI - I would much prefer to have it separate if possible, be that through Urugary or otherwise.

However, could I be getting the tourist CDI mixed up with the residence CDI(red). And I only need a tourist CDI to purchase property, especially land.

How's BA? I hear summers coming through

jago25_98 said:
...only interested as I believe I need a DNI to dodge the massive capital gains tax levied on foreign companies buying land....

Where did you ever get this idea? Who pays capital gains when they buy land?

jago25_98 said:
I read somewhere that to apply you just show proof you live somewhere and a police officer comes to verify it(!). However, elsewhere I see I need birth cert, police, bank, passport (stamped / i dotted etc). This isn't too bad but it's a shame to link my British identity to the CDI - I would much prefer to have it separate if possible, be that through Urugary or otherwise.

However, could I be getting the tourist CDI mixed up with the residence CDI(red). And I only need a tourist CDI to purchase property, especially land.

With the CDI you can purchase property, but without the DNI you will pay a higher annual tax rate. Unless you become a citizen you will always be a foreigner. The tax rates vary based on your resident status, not your nationality. Establishing residency in Uruguay wont make any difference (unless Argentina and Britain resume hostilities over the Malvinas and Argentina "expropriates" property held by British citizens).

The certificado de domicilio is issued by the police. You only need to take it and photocopies of your passport to AFIP to get the CDI. Be aware that the CDI may expire the same day as your tourist visa. I applied for my CDI after I received the 90 day prorroga de permanencia from migraciones. Otherwise, my CDI would have expired before the escritura. The other docs are required for the DNI.

The DNI and CDI apply to individuals. If you are buying property in the name of a foreign corporation you may have a lot of additional hoops to jump through. Whatever you do, make sure you have a trustworthy escribano. In any case, you will have to pay any and all taxes due to get permission from AFIP to sell your property when the time comes.

I don't think there is a capital gains tax on the sale of property (including raw land), but even if there is you would have to sell the land for more than you paid to owe such a tax. If you sell at a loss there are still some (relatively small) taxes that must be paid.

Back