CDI/Opening Bank Account Account

citygirl

Registered
Just an FYI - I got my CDI today with absolutely no problems. You need a copy of your passport, a certificado de domicilio (go to your local police station, fill out the form & pay the 10 pesos, they will verify your address & stamp it - took less than 24 hours), and copies of two bills (I used rental contract & my health insurance)

I went to AFIP today (you need to go to the AFIP that services your neighborhood) with my documents, got my number & waited about an hour and then they processed my paperwork, assigned me the CDI number & I was out the door.

Right now, I am in on a tourist visa (in process of changing that status now that the company here is launched). I thought there might be problems with the CDI since I entered on a tourist visa but no questions/problems.

I am opening the bank accounts tomorrow, HSBC has assured me that there will be no problem (it's a corp account and a personal account).

Just thought I would share my experiences.

citygirl

Registered
The police go to your residence to verify your address before they stamp it. However, you don't need to be there if you have a portero/encargado who can vouch for you.

citygirl

Registered
Your CDI is a tax ID number issued by AFIP. You need it to open a bank account. FWIW (this is a corp account), HSBC had no problems opening the account with my passport and this number.

jimdepalermo

Registered
The CDI is basically a junk number to identify people who don't [yet] qualify for a CUIL or a CUIT (the official Tax Id's, equivalent to social security numbers or employer tax id's in the US).

Basically, you can't register anything here - property, automobile, etc. - without some form of ID number, and the CDI is the lowest form of ID they recognize.

In order to work legally, you need a CUIL. In order to employ people or pay taxes other than basic employment withholdings, you need a CUIT.

The CUIL and CUIT are based on your DNI number, so obtaining them are impossible until you get some sort of resident's visa and a DNI.

The CDI is a more random number than can be issued to anyone.

mini

Registered
jimdepalermo said:
The CUIL and CUIT are based on your DNI number, so obtaining them are impossible until you get some sort of resident's visa and a DNI.
You do not need a DNI to get a CUIL/CUIT. I have one & don't have a DNI yet.