CDI/Opening Bank Account Account

citygirl

Registered
Just an FYI - I got my CDI today with absolutely no problems. You need a copy of your passport, a certificado de domicilio (go to your local police station, fill out the form & pay the 10 pesos, they will verify your address & stamp it - took less than 24 hours), and copies of two bills (I used rental contract & my health insurance)

I went to AFIP today (you need to go to the AFIP that services your neighborhood) with my documents, got my number & waited about an hour and then they processed my paperwork, assigned me the CDI number & I was out the door.

Right now, I am in on a tourist visa (in process of changing that status now that the company here is launched). I thought there might be problems with the CDI since I entered on a tourist visa but no questions/problems.

I am opening the bank accounts tomorrow, HSBC has assured me that there will be no problem (it's a corp account and a personal account).

Just thought I would share my experiences.

The police go to your residence to verify your address before they stamp it. However, you don't need to be there if you have a portero/encargado who can vouch for you.

Sorry about the newbie question but what's a CDI do?

Your CDI is a tax ID number issued by AFIP. You need it to open a bank account. FWIW (this is a corp account), HSBC had no problems opening the account with my passport and this number.

The CDI is also issued to foreigners (non residents) for the purpose of buying property.

The CDI is basically a junk number to identify people who don't [yet] qualify for a CUIL or a CUIT (the official Tax Id's, equivalent to social security numbers or employer tax id's in the US).

Basically, you can't register anything here - property, automobile, etc. - without some form of ID number, and the CDI is the lowest form of ID they recognize.

In order to work legally, you need a CUIL. In order to employ people or pay taxes other than basic employment withholdings, you need a CUIT.

The CUIL and CUIT are based on your DNI number, so obtaining them are impossible until you get some sort of resident's visa and a DNI.

The CDI is a more random number than can be issued to anyone.

Agreed but with a CDI, you can open a bank account here.

you should remember on all irs filings for the us government you need to report any foreign bank accounts to be legal.

jimdepalermo said:
The CUIL and CUIT are based on your DNI number, so obtaining them are impossible until you get some sort of resident's visa and a DNI.
You do not need a DNI to get a CUIL/CUIT. I have one & don't have a DNI yet.

Back