Cell Phone Mystery

bobg

Registered
It's a mystery to me anyway.

In the past I have used my unlocked Razr here without problems. I swap out the AT&T GoPlan SIM and swap in a Personal SIM and I am good to go.

But this year I have a new cell phone. It's an HTC TouchPro2. Branded T-Mobile but unlocked and I was using it in the US on my AT&T GoPlan. But I got it right before leaving the US so I haven't had a lot of experience with it.

So I have a Personal SIM chip in it and bought $30 worth of credit and it partly works (I get a response when I dial *150) but I am unable to make calls. When I dial the number of the land line in my apartment I hear ringing in the call phone but the land line phone never rings. I've tried dialing the number as 12345678 and 1112345678. Nothing. It might not be related, but the phone does not seem to understand the format of phone numbers here. For example, when I enter 12345678 the phone shows that it is dialing (123) 456-78.

I don't know if I can receive calls. The land line phone in the apartment does not allow cell phone calls unless I use a calling card which I don't have yet.

Does anyone have any ideas? Would Personal help me with this if I go to their office on Callao where I bought the SIM chip?

(PS - is there an alternative to *150 which delivers a text message to my phone containing the balance? For me the rapid spoken Spanish is hard to understand?)

Thanks, Bob

Back