Cell phones/plans

TarHeelBluze

Registered
Hello,

I am an American who just moved to BA for a year. I need to buy a cellphone and set up a plan.

I am interested in finding something affordable, but don't need to go the really cheap prepaid phone route. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has any idea how it might work to get a nicer phone (e.g. iPhone, BlackBerry) that I could retool to work when I returned home in a year, let me know.

Thanks!

John

TarHeelBluze said:
Hello,

I am an American who just moved to BA for a year. I need to buy a cellphone and set up a plan.

I am interested in finding something affordable, but don't need to go the really cheap prepaid phone route. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has any idea how it might work to get a nicer phone (e.g. iPhone, BlackBerry) that I could retool to work when I returned home in a year, let me know.

Thanks!

John

Iphone and BB plans usually come with a 2 years plan, and the IMEI won't be freed by the operator (in fact there's a way of doing so before, but it's tricky although doable).

If you come from the US, it's much better to bring your iPhone or whatever here (cheaper) but I don't know if you can get an unlimited data plan with providers here doing so.

Also take note that you need a DNI (local ID) and a national VISA/MC/Amex to subscribe to a national plan.

Apparentely, you need an internet plan together with the phone (??), and it could be tricky for you to get one.

Another option (risky) would be for you to buy-back a plan that has been started by someone else (after 6 months subscribing to a plan, one usually can take away the registered data from the debit/credit card and just pay at the cashier, ventanilla in spanish), although the registered name still needs to be of someone having a DNI.

Good luck

I brought an unlocked BlackBerry from the US and have signed up for a 99 peso/month BB plan with Movistar that includes unlimited internet. I've learned that there seems to be problems with Movistar's system that will quickly become your problem when you receive your bill. Each month my data use comes in around 250 to 450 pesos (I use Google maps and email w attachments a lot.) Every month I have to go to their service center in Palermo to have the bill "corrected". They usually erase the charges but it takes a few hours every month.
Friends with Claro's BB plan are much happier even though it may not be unlimited.
As a note, AT&T is the first in the US to change to a metered data plan. I think this is the way everyone will be going soon.

brandon said:
I brought an unlocked BlackBerry from the US and have signed up for a 99 peso/month BB plan with Movistar that includes unlimited internet. I've learned that there seems to be problems with Movistar's system that will quickly become your problem when you receive your bill. Each month my data use comes in around 250 to 450 pesos (I use Google maps and email w attachments a lot.) Every month I have to go to their service center in Palermo to have the bill "corrected". They usually erase the charges but it takes a few hours every month.
Friends with Claro's BB plan are much happier even though it may not be unlimited.
As a note, AT&T is the first in the US to change to a metered data plan. I think this is the way everyone will be going soon.

How were you able to get a plan? Do you have a DNI and residency?

Back