Certificate of domicile

keystrike

Registered
I am applying for a CDI and I understand various AFIP offices do things differently. Having already been to one AFIP and been sent home, as the guy at the desk said I needed a local to apply on my behalf, I decided to get a certificate of domicile first as I read this may be needed and I didn't want to delay the process.

Last week I went to get the certificate and was told that my Italian passport was in Italian, French, and English... but not Spanish, so I had to get an official translation. I found an official translator, picked up the document from her, and then brought it to the Colegio de Traductores Públicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires to have it further authenticated.

Today I went back to the BsAs office with my two witnesses and everything was accepted -- but not before the manager of the office gave me a Spanish exam prior to signing off on the certificate. He insisted that I be able to answer his questions in Spanish before he signed. Mainly he wanted to know why I had an Italian passport if I was born in the US, and whether that posed a problem at migraciones. I was able to answer his questions, although I am in the process of learning Spanish, and he acted like he would refuse to grant me the certificate of domicile because at first it was hard for me to understand him as he was speaking fast. I think he wanted to be sure I understood Spanish and knew what I was signing -- fair enough, but I did spend some time slowly reading the document to make sure I understood it and I looked up a few things with Google Translator when I was in doubt.

Perhaps the best part: the main functionary behind the desk added a line to the document where I was to declare myself indigent and unable to pay for the certificate. He suggested that this is how things are done, and it was a self-certification and would save me money. Now my plan is to buy an apartment here, so I do not want to use a document stating I cannot afford the very document itself in the process of buying a place. Also it is $12 which is not much and I do not mind helping possibly to support BsAs, although it is a drop in the ocean, because I think the city is generally well run and of course it needs funds. So I had to push a bit for that line to be removed but finally I was allowed to pay! At first he told me the process had changed and it was now free but then he explained to me that this self-certification was required for the special treatment. It was nice for him to offer of course, but I just found it a strange contrast/juxtaposition to the extra time and costs of the passport translation and subsequent double certification of that translation by officially certified individuals/organizations.

So, for the questions to everyone... is it normal to have to translate a passport like this? I thought I was used to bureaucracy but found this crazy as a passport is literally the one document accepted by every single country on Earth. And how about the impromptu Spanish exam?

Sounds like the typical in these parts, I had none of those issues in my process. Sounds kinda whacky compared to my experience.

Interesting report. I have an appointment for application of certificado de domicilio on Monday and have been wondering about what's really required at the appointment. I requested the appointment online, which shows a very short list of requirements - primarily the 2 witnesses with DNI and your passport: https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/tramites/certificado-de-domicilio-para-extranjeros-sin-dni It does not say if you need to show a rental contract or other means to prove your address and there's no mention of passport translation required. At your appointment did you need to show some document about your address? What part of your passport was translated - the main page or every page in the passport?

Yea I actually emailed BsAs because that page does not have the passport translation requirement. I told them they should update it. But they did not. I was in the office in Recoleta Mall. I didn't need to show documentation for my address as the two witnesses I brought confirmed it. Only the main information page of the passport was translated.

Today I got the certificate of domicile authenticated and brought it to AFIP. There she told me it was not valid and I needed the police to issue the certificate! That was the old process. Fortunately she asked her co-worker who seemed to skeptically say that my certificate was probably OK. ;)

Thanks the reply, a relief. I have an appointment on Monday morning bringing my witnesses to Recoleta Mall. I checked the location today in advance. It's the 3rd floor of the mall. 2 tables and a little counter, open air in the middle of the 3rd floor! I guess I'll wing it with a not translated copy of my passport page. See if they push the issue. So you've gotten your certificate authenticated - does that mean you had to get it notarized or you authenticated it yourself by signing the page? The Radex online application and the online request page for an appointment for the certificado de domicilio must be relatively new. I've encountered more than one business here that should know, but was unaware. Although someone at AFIP not knowing, that's special?! On the other hand there are foibles like that one encounters here every day in a variety of circumstances.

I had to authenticate it for free by bringing it to Lavalle 1220 where someone stamped it. First she was talking to her co-worker who was looking at a catalog of home products and not paying attention to the line. She had found a blue and white mug she was very excited about. Actually at the mall you check-in on the 3rd floor and then go up to the 4th. It is very efficient actually and a great location. I did not use the Radex system. Yes, this is the way of life for them.

I had to authenticate it for free by bringing it to Lavalle 1220 where someone stamped it. First she was talking to her co-worker who was looking at a catalog of home products and not paying attention to the line. She had found a blue and white mug she was very excited about. Actually at the mall you check-in on the 3rd floor and then go up to the 4th. It is very efficient actually and a great location. I did not use the Radex system. Yes, this is the way of life for them.
Lavalle 1220 - what is located at that address and what services do they offer there?

Many services I think including legalizations (this is what I needed) and apostilles.

Many services I think including legalizations (this is what I needed) and apostilles.
If you know of any "service" in Argentina that can provide the Apostille for a foreign document, please be specific and provide the name of the service and exactly what docs they can Apostille..

If you know of any "service" in Argentina that can provide the Apostille for a foreign document, please be specific and provide the name of the service and exactly what docs they can Apostille..
Here is the name and address of Escribania Dusil-Codino @ Belgrano 510, 2B tel 4343-7109. Two Notaries: Jorge Dusil and Lucas Carafi. They are not expensive. Services: Notary Service, and they were able to send out for Apostille my fully copied (front to back) US Passport and then they authenticated it.
I have not had the opportunity to test them on Apostille for other foreign documents. They were under the impression that Apostilles were done here for documents going out of Argentina. But they managed my passport to be Apostille for use in Argentina.
Primary language there is Spanish but there is one guy at the least who speaks English.

Back