It all sounds kind of nuts to me, but I am interested
in the fact that no one has mentioned the way CFK
seems always to us ad hominem statements as yet
another way of ducking any question she doesn't want
to answer.

As a mentor of mine said to me long ago, "You know,
if you can't deal with the question, you can always just
attack ther person to asked it."

It sort of makes me sad, but I've been sad for awhile.

Speaking of ad hominem attacks, this one is real pearl: “Vos estudiás en Harvard, no podés venir a preguntarme por el cepo cambiario” (You study at Harvard. You can't come ask me about currency exchange controls").

What a nasty, rude, arrogant thing to say. It pains me to see this country represented to the world this way. How deep are they going to dig?

BienTeVeo said:
Speaking of ad hominem attacks, this one is real pearl: “Vos estudiás en Harvard, no podés venir a preguntarme por el cepo cambiario” (You study at Harvard. You can't come ask me about currency exchange controls").

What a nasty, rude, arrogant thing to say. It pains me to see this country represented to the world this way. How deep are they going to dig?

Even worst: "this is Harvard, not La Matanza University".

Why is my president implying La Matanza is a shitty university where students are allowed (or expected?) to ask "stupid" questions?

I guess many people here won´t understand this point...but it was really rude and she should apologize to all students attending La Matanza University. Hahaha, of course she will...

Loved the last 2 questions :)

volver said:
Even worst: "this is Harvard, not La Matanza University".

Why is my president implying La Matanza is a shitty university where students are allowed (or expected?) to ask "stupid" questions?

I guess many people here won´t understand this point...but it was really rude and she should apologize to all students attending La Matanza University. Hahaha, of course she will...

Here you go! https://twitter.com/CFKArgentina/status/251703296467812352

She has a habit of answering legitimate questions with short, pithy, and carefully crafted retorts that are made to leave you feeling "off guard" and a bit dazed. These are convenient and "popular" ways with less sophisticated listeners that "resonate" well with some. One is left feeling a bit entertained, dazed, and confused if not a quick thinker. They make for good media sound bites and leave a nice "populist" flavor good for the next election.

It nauseates me when a head of state reverts to Twitter as a 'closing the doors when the horse has bolted' approach, when they don't have the guts to tackle matter on a personal basis.
A short helicopter ride down to La Matanza would mend a multitude of bridges.

kre8ivelyXposed said:
She has a habit of answering legitimate questions with short, pithy, and carefully crafted retorts that are made to leave you feeling "off guard" and a bit dazed. These are convenient and "popular" ways with less sophisticated listeners that "resonate" well with some. One is left feeling a bit entertained, dazed, and confused if not a quick thinker. They make for good media sound bites and leave a nice "populist" flavor good for the next election.

A habit? I've never really seen her respond to many questions that were critical of her government. Her response about speaking to the media and other people was clearly fictitious.

I really cringed when she compared the two universities. I had to ask my partner, in fact, if saying, "Esto no es la Matanza" is some Argentine expression that I was unaware of. It didn't make sense to me that a president who speaks so much about equality would make such a divisive statement.

Yup, the Matanza comment was a doozy. It made a lot of people really mad. We have lots of friends who are academics. They are horrified - even the those who defend her.

We have some friends coming over for dinner tonight. One of them called to ask if we could please not talk politics - not because we don't agree (we do), but because the climate is becoming so heavy that it's creeping into everything. Seems like every encounter turns into an argument or kvetch fest. Not healthy.

Gringoboy said:
I have a new name for AFIP..Agency For Intimidating People.

But...in Spanish that would be APIG!!!! :)

Autoridad Para Intimidar Gente

bradlyhale said:
...It didn't make sense to me that a president who speaks so much about equality would make such a divisive statement...

Remember that she really does not care one whit about anyone else other than the power that she herself can attain, that anything "populist" or popular that she says is only said to gain that end - keep herself in power. Then, perhaps she really isn't very intelligent (didn't say she wasn't clever) and crap just seems to run out of her mouth when it shouldn't.

Then, at least to me, it makes perfect sense.

Back