Chavez wins elections, we are screwed!

"But it was still a significante difference over Capriles"

Note spelling. Has ABC been taken over by the BA HERALD?

You know, I don't like the man at all, or his policies. He's an extremely disruptive and polarizing figure. In many countries there are politicians like himself too and we can rightly have an opinion one way or the other about them.

What I didn't like was his blatant manipulation of the apparatus of state to win the election: refusing virtually all opposition political broadcasts to 3 minutes only a day, shutting down opposition media, preventing the opposition candidate from campaigning, scaring people in to voting him especially after the debacle of releasing the names of people who voted against him in a referendum.

Whatever his personal convictions are for his supposed Bolivarian Revolution, abusing his position like he did makes him unfit for rule.

I feel very sorry for my Venezuelan friends tonight

Why do we seem to be acting like this was some unfortunate, unforeseen turn of events?

Its not like Chavez came out of nowhere and we had no idea of what kind of corrupt, dictatorial individual we were dealing with here.

Chavez won. That's how it was supposed to happen. Chavez wouldn't have had it any other way.

Its only the media in the West (AKA US, UK, etc) that seems to always be just oh-so-full-of-hope that they forget to ground themselves in the realities of this world.

Egypt: "The revolution is going to bring secular rule, we know it all!!!" While it was clear that Muslim Brotherhood was going to take control, no matter what, the media decided to play dumb.

Venezuela: "What will the situation be like once Chavez loses this election?" Are you out of your mind? Why do people choose to forget the reality as it is?

To me, this election was just a way to legitimize (¿?) Chávez staying in power. Capriles never had a chance to win. It was all a very orchestrated show. Now he can say: "people from Venezuela Wanted me to stay".

genialf said:
To me, this election was just a way to legitimize (¿?) Chávez staying in power. Capriles never had a chance to win. It was all a very orchestrated show. Now he can say: "people from Venezuela Wanted me to stay".

I haven't been following Venezuela or the election at all and fully expected Chavez to win, but I did find the concession speech and the mannerisms of Capriles to be somewhat odd for someone who just lost an election. Perhaps he was just happy to have gotten so far, but there was a lot of smiling for someone who is supposedly ideologically opposed... I saw more disappointment from some of the voters. :p

In the previous election the Opposition got 36% of the votes, yesterday they obtained 44,9 % an 8 point increase, In 2020 if Chavez stays healthy, the opposition would reach 52 % ???
Forever Chavez?

Back