Chavez wins journalism award...

mobri1130

Registered
...yes, that Chavez. And in accepting the award he stated:

Venezuela also has "absolute freedom to criticize, absolute freedom of thought, absolute freedom of expression. It's just the bourgeoisie that wants to impose its voice. It doesn't want to hear the voice of the people. And we, Cristina as much as me, represent the voices of our peoples."

Later in the article it's revealed:

Globovision is the only remaining critical TV channel in Venezuela, and its majority owner, Guillermo Zuloaga, fled the country last year after a court issued an arrest warrant for him and one of his sons.

Here's the whole article.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=134953931

Viva Freedom of the Press!!

mobri1130 said:
...yes, that Chavez. And in accepting the award he stated:

Venezuela also has "absolute freedom to criticize, absolute freedom of thought, absolute freedom of expression. It's just the bourgeoisie that wants to impose its voice. It doesn't want to hear the voice of the people. And we, Cristina as much as me, represent the voices of our peoples."

Later in the article it's revealed:

Globovision is the only remaining critical TV channel in Venezuela, and its majority owner, Guillermo Zuloaga, fled the country last year after a court issued an arrest warrant for him and one of his sons.

Here's the whole article.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=134953931

Viva Freedom of the Press!!

This should come as no surprise especially with comments like

THIS

Where is Argentina headed???????????? Just follow Mr. FreePress Hugo. This guy has serious parts missing in the cranial department.

Just imagine how bad his predecessors were if they'd rather vote for Chavez than any other candidate linked to the 4th Republic...

ReemsterCARP said:
Just imagine how bad his predecessors were if they'd rather vote for Chavez than any other candidate linked to the 4th Republic...

Good point the only people at fault for creating Chavez are the people who failed to address the long standing problems there that which in effect opened the door for him. He is keeping in power basically by buying the poor vote through social programs and subsidies(sound familiar). As he is slowly destroying the economy I don't think he will be around forever. Unfortunately for the people there they will find one day that all the oil riches are gone and that they are worse off than they were before. Imagine what could have been done for the country and the people if this wealth were put to work productively.

sam3g said:
Just because the guy can give 5 hour speeches doesn't mean he deserves an award.

See my thread on traveling to Venezuela if you're interested.

I remember that post and shared it with some friends who traveled to Cuba with me recently who were thinking of visiting.

I don't like Chavez, don't like Cristina, but press is really free in VERY few countries.
Like now, nobody - or very few - are talking about the savage behavior of the US soldiers in Afghanistan. Some years ago the abuses in that prison in Iraq were everywhere...I am sure the Pentagon has warned media not to make an scandal out of that, fearing that it could ruin the relationships with the muslim World even further (if that is still possible). The Pentagon also prohibited some years ago pictures of the unloading of the remains of fallen soldiers being unloaded in the US.
Sure press freedom is way behind in Venezuela, not making any comparison here. Only saying that press freedom is, as of today, a little nice utopia.

The more I think about this the more disturbing it is. This is one most cynical acts I think I have ever seen. Giving Hugo a press freedom award is like giving Hitler the humanitarian of the century award for his work in the 20th century. This is really shameful and the people involved should be marked for life for participating in this fraud.

A good video on the award ceremony is linked below:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/172256.html

Back