Cheap Contact Lenses in BA?

YanquiGallego

Registered
Is there any option for cheap contact lenses in BA? I am assuming that the brand I have always used (manufactured in the US) is ridiculously expensive if not impossible to get here because of the import situation, but are nationally made contacts relatively good and inexpensive?

Actually what I would like to do, if it is possible is just pick up a sample trial pair even if I have to pay for it, as I have a friend bringing me some from 1800 Contacts in the States pretty soon, but could use a new pair now and I have a pretty common prescription and havent had trouble getting a free sample pair when travelling in Europe, for instance.

Any thoughts?

I use monthly acuvue lenses and have no problem getting them here. I don't think that there is a great selection (brand wise) but you should be able to get the main brands. I get charged 250 pesos per box of six (including discount from my health care provider)... The only locally made lenses I've heard of are Pfortner lenses (Pfortner is a good opticians here). They are usually made for people with significant issues (high prescription, astigmatism, etc) and are very expensive.
I would be very surprised if they sold you one pair or gave you a pair for free...that would be pretty unusual here (yet very common in the UK too).

Thanks, I will check it out, Ashley. That price sounds pretty comparable to the States.
Regarding the sample pair: I am dreading that they will look at me like I have 7 heads if I ask, which is why I also mentioned cash bribing LOL
What is it with this country and not giving free samples of anything? Not the same as contacts I know, but not even the nicer perfume/cosmetic places touting 600 peso moisturizers here give samples out, and I know the vendors give it to the retailers (also in the case of contacts) to encourage people to try it and then later buy it if they like it.

I buy my contacts at Walmart. Good selection and the best prices I found.

On a similar note, do I need a prescription to get contacts here? I have my rx from my optometrist in the states, and I've purchased my Acuvue 2s in Italy without a prescription. Can I just walk in with my old empty box and buy them? Do I need to get a referral or something first? Thanks!

I'd just walk into any eyeglass/contact store with your old contact box and ask if they have the prescription.

I did that here twice no problem and got disposables.

t16lilac said:
On a similar note, do I need a prescription to get contacts here? I have my rx from my optometrist in the states, and I've purchased my Acuvue 2s in Italy without a prescription. Can I just walk in with my old empty box and buy them? Do I need to get a referral or something first? Thanks!

I´ve never needed a prescription here, nor even a box, I just shout my numbers and hand over my cash.

For glasses though, you´ll need a prescription. They usually refer you to an independent place, like the eye centre on Avenida Cordoba y Florida.

yep, just shouting the numbers and handing over the cash sums it up. Actually it sums up many transactions in BA LOL

YanquiGallego said:
yep, just shouting the numbers and handing over the cash sums it up. Actually it sums up many transactions in BA LOL

Definitely sums up transactions of ¨prescription¨ medication in mine (and many others´) local pharmacies ;)

YanquiGallego said:

Wow really?? I'm actually Argentinean and I always always needed a prescription for my contacts... even when I've bought from the same store for a number of years... the things I've discovered at expats!!!

Back