Cheap or self service laundry

jamesb55063

Registered
We are in BA for a month or two and have been using those full service laundromat but they are quite expensive. We've done laundry twice in the past two weeks and it has cost us nearly $40. Are there any cheaper places or self service places? They are charging $4-$5 per load and the loads aren't large.

Do it yourself at home. Buy rubber gloves, mild liquid detergent, alcohol vinegar for rinsing and some clothes pins. Hang the clothes in the shower or out on the patio or balcony in the afternoon sun that dries them quickly for free.

Water is more expensive these days. I take only sheets and towels to the laundromat where my Chinese neighbor does a good job.

The price you quoted is not expensive considering high inflation.

I once wondered about this and looked into it, thinking maybe it could be a good business opportunity. Correct, there are no self service options. It has to do with the high cost of imported equipment, low cost of labor, and the fact that people will steal clothes doesn't help.

Do it yourself at home. Buy rubber gloves, mild liquid detergent, alcohol vinegar for rinsing and some clothes pins. Hang the clothes in the shower or out on the patio or balcony in the afternoon sun that dries them quickly for free.

Water is more expensive these days. I take only sheets and towels to the laundromat where my Chinese neighbor does a good job.

The price you quoted is not expensive considering high inflation.
Perhaps he/she could try this method:
1. Get two buckets. Put one to one side (this is for your clean clothes).
2. Add some detergent to the other bucket. Add water to the bucket with detergent and then add all your clothes to the bucket too.
4. Swirl the clothes around in the bucket to let the detergent spread among them.
5. Take one item of clothing from the bucket dip it into the river.
6. look for a large, smooth rock.
7. Massage the clothes on the rock, rinsing out the dirty water and paying attention to any stains. You need to use a bit of strength for this.
8. Dip the clothing back into the water briefly to rinse off any excess soap.
9. Grab onto one part of the clothing and then slam it onto the stone, dislodging any stubborn dirt or soap. Ideally you want the clothing to spread out as it hits the stone. Do this a few times.
10. Hold onto two corners of your clothing and spread it out as you gently rinse it in the water. This is your final rinse.
11. Wring out the item of clothing and add it to your second bucket.
Ta da! You’re done.

Last edited:
We are in BA for a month or two and have been using those full service laundromat but they are quite expensive. We've done laundry twice in the past two weeks and it has cost us nearly $40. Are there any cheaper places or self service places? They are charging $4-$5 per load and the loads aren't large.
No washing / drying machines in your Airbnb? Most apartment buildings have a washroom in the basement, you buy tokens to use the machines.

I used laundromats as well when I first came here, but I found the clothes were never properly cleaned. You can almost certainly do a better job yourself (though maybe you don't actually need to go down to the river :D )

Five bucks per load for Fluff & Fold seems fair to me . Saves buying detergents, and products plus labor. A load to hang in the shower for drying is more that can fit in my bath.
Good Luck
It's fair, but i can buy $10 of detergent and wash for multiple months on my own.

No washing / drying machines in your Airbnb? Most apartment buildings have a washroom in the basement, you buy tokens to use the machines.

I used laundromats as well when I first came here, but I found the clothes were never properly cleaned. You can almost certainly do a better job yourself (though maybe you don't actually need to go down to the river :D )
They are broken sadly

Back