cheap places to live in Lat Am

luismarcos

Registered
first of all, thank you to everyone for your wonderful and informative posts!

Given that so many of you have traveled throughout LatAm, I was wondering if any of you know of reasonably priced places to live in the region (I am on a fixed income). I know that often there is a trade-off between cheap and quality of life and there are so many factors, but I would like to be in a Latin American city to live and write part of the year and i am finding Bs As a bit too expensive.If any of you have any insights you are willing to share please let me know.

About me: I have lived in Bs As for many many years, going back and forth ot the states and have visited almost all of Latin America but I am a bit removed regarding the economics.

In the 90's after the Mexican devaluation i was living cheaply in Guadalajara Mexico and Puerto Vallarta, then some time in Panama, Costa Rica, Guatemala,and Bolivia before Buenos Aires.

Sorry if i sound a bit insensitive about looking for a "cheap" place to live but when i go to places I try hard to absorb the culture, etc...again, any suggestions would be welcome

The problem is that a cheap country today may be an expensive one tomorrow. Loot at Argentina: it was cheap between 2002 and 2005/6 and today this is one of the most expensive countries in Latin America.
Besides, you won't find really cheap countries to live in as in Asia, even the cheapest ones like Bolivia or Nicaragua are not as cheap as Indonesia or Thailand.
I was last year living in Colombia, it's cheaper than Argentina but not as cheap as Ecuador, Bolivia or Nicaragua. Try Paraguay, I read it's one of the cheapest on earth.

Quito has pretty low prices but La Paz is the winner. Either might be ideal if you are looking for a place to live only part time as they both have rainy seasons when you might want to be gone.

Back