Cheese For Cheesecakes

Girino

Registered
what Argentinian cheese should I use for a cheesecake? Philadelphia is quite expensive here...

Use Philadelphia. There is really nothing I've found that compares.

Occasionally the big supermarkets have promotions that are 50% off of the second of two products and "Queso Crema" shows up ocasionally. That brings the price down to about 44 a brick which isn't bad. Just stock up, unopened and refrigerated, cream cheese will keep for severa months.

I'm with Nancy, done the same myself and it turns out.

Finlandia clasico, I think do 1/2 & 1/2 with the Philly
Nancy

I agree with Nancy. In fact, I've used Finlandia clasico in place of Philly for many desserts that require cream cheese, particularly frosting for carrot cake. Honestly, I can't tell the difference, especially since the frosting, like the cheesecake, is flavored with other ingredients.

Is ricotta out of the question?

I think that it's the original cheesecake cheese.

The ricotta I found here is very dry, I tried it in a salty cake and it was not creamy as it should be for such recipes.

There are a bunch of different ricotta options, or you can make your own! I usually use philly or make my own ricotta, I don't like the local cream cheeses I don't find them to be a suitable substitution.

There are a bunch of different ricotta options, or you can make your own! I usually use philly or make my own ricotta

What brand of milk do you use? I tried a couple of time but the milk here is so watered down (La Serenissa) that I could get 80 g of ricotta out of 1 liter of milk.

Back