Chicken/beef Stock

nwi314

Registered
I'm hoping one of you kind people can help.

I know you can make your own stock/broth but sometimes its nice to have a carton of store-bought, especially when you don't have a lot of freezer space. But I can't find it in grocery stores here. Do the butcher shops offer this? Thanks :)

It is not sold in the same format. The most popular are stock cubes Knorr. All supermarkets have them ( check where they have soup noodles, etc or close to the check out lines ) http://www.knorr.com.ar/Productos

Stock cubes are very salty which makes them not very useful when you use stock in a reduction. Unfortunately I haven't found anything else here. I keep a freezer full of homemade stock for When I need some
This is true, I eat a low sodium diet, so I get a Knorr jar that has 96% less sodium. It is super bland though but it helps if you are in a rush.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I might have found what I'm doing this rainy day. I'm also putting it on my things to bring back from home list...

Thanks for the replies. I guess I might have found what I'm doing this rainy day. I'm also putting it on my things to bring back from home list...

If you don't have a ton of freezer space you can store stock in jars unrefrigerated as long as you first pasturize them in a pressure cooker. I know its a little involved but possible not more so than bringing stock back in your luggage.

Also when freezing stock you can take advantage of freezer space buy reducing it down to a super concentrate and then diluting with water when using.

I've only made simple chicken stock but I'd like to have a bash at making beef stock for gravy to pour over my roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner. Which type of bones do you ask the butcher for and do you have to cook them for hours?

Any type of bones work. I save bones in the freezer T bone steak bones, ribs, etc and when I have enough I add onions, garlic, carrot, celery, left over veggie peels that I've been saving. Fill a stock pot with cold water, salt and pepper, bay leaves, fresh parsley and cook at the lowest temp for 12 hours or so. Cool in pot, strain and voila la, you have a great broth. Put some in fridge, some in freezer, Happy eating.
Nancy

Any type of bones work. I save bones in the freezer T bone steak bones, ribs, etc and when I have enough I add onions, garlic, carrot, celery, left over veggie peels that I've been saving. Fill a stock pot with cold water, salt and pepper, bay leaves, fresh parsley and cook at the lowest temp for 12 hours or so. Cool in pot, strain and voila la, you have a great broth. Put some in fridge, some in freezer, Happy eating.
Nancy

Thanks.

Twelve hours? Think I'll wait until winter before trying that out. :D

Back