Child Struck by Car in Crosswalk

Dr Bellows

Registered
General questions about legal proceses in Buenos Aires and Argentina. My daughter was struck by a car while we were walking in a crosswalk. A car was in a hurry and tried to jump ahead of our group and failed to see my short six year old daughter. The car struck my daughter and she bounced off the front bumper. Thankfully, the car stopped and did not proceed to run over my daughter. Police and ambulance responded. Daughter was bruised and badly shook up, but nothing else. A police report was made, documents were produced and noted.
Question.... what do we do now? Is this a case of 'no harm, no foul...' & we should count ourselves lucky or do we need to proceed with this matter in a specific way?
In the States, insurance companies would intercede and work everything out. BA and Argentina are not the States ( for better or for worse...) :)
Thank you in advance for any and all information/advice.
Some trip overview; we arrived in Buenos Aires middle of August for a 3 month stay of 'getting to know' Buenos Aires and Argentina. This is in advance of a possible work assignment relocation to BA for a year or two.
Thank you again.

Hey, sorry to hear about your experience. As you say, it could have been far worse!

I did a quick bit of gogling in Spanish and it looks like you've followed the right procedures (police report etc).

Have a read (Google translate if needed). Probably nothing new, but worth a look as has a small section on injuries resulting from car crashes, link below.

Id also maybe call your embassy and ask for advice. They should be able to advise.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear.
Thank God for good fortunes nothing worse.

I´d second @London2Baires advise. A visit to the Embassy is in order. They´re the best at this moment.

Maybe the Embassy will refer you to a lawyer .To be informed read the link below

.Goggle translate of introduction, in the link abive..! Posting by a Law Office

What to do when hit by a car.. Advice on how to collect an indemnity..!

"If you or a loved ones has been involved in this situation, the Law gives you the right to claim compensation for the damages suffered, even if you do not have an insurer to support you.

What are we going to explain in this post:

When do I have the right to claim compensation for an accident?​
Who has the right to receive compensation for running or falling from a cyclet?​
What do I have the right to claim after an incident?​
What to do in case of being hit?​
Calculation of compensation for abuse"​

And giving you some examples for you to understand better, you have to get and save:

Part of medical discharge with all the reports and tests that have been performed.

Medical report indicating that the injuries have been the fault of the accident.
Medical discharge and medical discharge (if you have already been given it).
Documents that justify the loss of income.
If you have needed rehabilitation, medical reports indicating if you have had sequelae.
The data of the witnesses of the accident to be able to locate them if necessary.
Photographs of the accident and the damage caused to the damaged or broken objects.
Invoices for repairs, for the purchase of repaired or replaced objects, medicines, medical expenses,…
If you want us to study your case and tell you which claim corresponds to you call us toll free at 900 101 402 or write us through this form

Calculation of compensation for abuse
For the calculation of the compensation for an outrage against a pedestrian, the scale included in the BOE is used as a reference.

To know the amount of the corresponding compensation, we must take into account, among others:

The damages caused,
the severity of them,
the possible sequels that can cause.
the age of the injured,
the possible aesthetic damage,
The percentage of the pedestrian's fault in the outrage.
Therefore, and given the complexity of the calculation of the correct compensation, it is advisable to have the advice and support of lawyers specialized in abuses and TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS that help you calculate the compensation that best suits your case.

Call us, we can help you 900 101 402 (toll free) or write to us through this form

if you google "Que hacer si soy atropellado por un vehículo" you will see many entries for Law Offices more than willing to take your case on a contingency basis. ?

Last edited:
General questions about legal proceses in Buenos Aires and Argentina. My daughter was struck by a car while we were walking in a crosswalk. A car was in a hurry and tried to jump ahead of our group and failed to see my short six year old daughter. The car struck my daughter and she bounced off the front bumper. Thankfully, the car stopped and did not proceed to run over my daughter. Police and ambulance responded. Daughter was bruised and badly shook up, but nothing else. A police report was made, documents were produced and noted.
Question.... what do we do now? Is this a case of 'no harm, no foul...' & we should count ourselves lucky or do we need to proceed with this matter in a specific way?
In the States, insurance companies would intercede and work everything out. BA and Argentina are not the States ( for better or for worse...) :)
Thank you in advance for any and all information/advice.
Some trip overview; we arrived in Buenos Aires middle of August for a 3 month stay of 'getting to know' Buenos Aires and Argentina. This is in advance of a possible work assignment relocation to BA for a year or two.
Thank you again.
You may want to contact Luchemos por la vida association civil and

Back