Chile Devastated

perry

Registered
Chile has been devastated by the earthquake with many cities severly damaged and villages wiped off the map . The Seventh region of Chile was hardest hit with the earthquake and tsunami destroying many villages .
It makes my blood boil the insensitive remarks that I have read here and on the internet that this was not so bad as Haitii because of the death toll . This is a sweeping statement based on ignorance of the facts .

Haitis tragic earthquake was concentrated in a small radius of Port Au Prince and Chiles Earthquake over 200 times more powerful has severly affected many provinces as well as destroying scores of villages. The physical cost will take years for Chile to recover from but I do know that they are well prepared for the challenges ahead.

Unfortunately I think Chile is too worried about looking like they can handle it in comparison to Haiti, they want to make themselves look much more capable then that '3rd world country in the Carribbean' -- I think this is a poor attitude to take -- they keep saying they can for now handle it, they don't need outside help etc, but they've forgotten how quickly the world moves on from one disaster to the next, that right now IS the moment to say we need help, to encourage the sympathy of the world rather than turn them away.

FYI, one of our BA Expat members was (and still is) in Chile during the quake. IrishVan sent me a brief email saying she was OK but the situation was very difficult.

syngirl said:
Unfortunately I think Chile is too worried about looking like they can handle it in comparison to Haiti, they want to make themselves look much more capable then that '3rd world country in the Carribbean' -- I think this is a poor attitude to take -- they keep saying they can for now handle it, they don't need outside help etc, but they've forgotten how quickly the world moves on from one disaster to the next, that right now IS the moment to say we need help, to encourage the sympathy of the world rather than turn them away.

They have asked for help now. So hopefully it will start coming in.

pericles said:
Chile has been devastated by the earthquake with many cities severly damaged and villages wiped off the map . The Seventh region of Chile was hardest hit with the earthquake and tsunami destroying many villages .
It makes my blood boil the insensitive remarks that I have read here and on the internet that this was not so bad as Haitii because of the death toll . This is a sweeping statement based on ignorance of the facts .

Haitis tragic earthquake was concentrated in a small radius of Port Au Prince and Chiles Earthquake over 200 times more powerful has severly affected many provinces as well as destroying scores of villages. The physical cost will take years for Chile to recover from but I do know that they are well prepared for the challenges ahead.
Do you have a point.

Back