Chile is not Switzerland

camberiu

Registered
But when compared with Argentina, it sure hell feels like it.

My wife and I have been here since Friday on vacation. The cotrasts between the two countries are nothing short of shocking.

Everything in Chile costs at least half as much as Argentina. We are buying premium yogurt at Jumbo at around US$0.30 a unit. US$0.80 a kilo of Apples.

The stores at packet with goods and the selection is at least as good as the US, if not better. Prices are similar to the US too. I have been in Argentina for three months already and not once, when walking into a super market there, has any employee asked me if I wanted help. I have been here for only two nights and have been to two Jumbos and one Santa Isabel super market. Every single time an employee has asked me if I was looking for something in particular. The stores are clean, super organized, fully staffed, with outstanding selection of goods, packed with customers and yet, little or no lines on the cashiers. When checking out, I always pay with my US credit card. No one ever asks to see any type of ID. I just swipe the card and go about my merry way.

Driving here is really weird. The traffic in Santiago can get really heavy during rush hour, but still, the chileans have this weird habit of obeying traffic rules. They actually use turning signal when changing lates, they stop at pedestrian crossings when pedestrians are crossing (what a concept), they yeild when there is an yeild sign. On the highway, they stay on the right lane and use the left lane just for passing!

Another fascinating thing is that the subway in Santiago is extensive, reliable, spotless clean and confortable. No grafitti in sight anywhere. No leaks on funn ysmells inside the subway stations. The seats on the trains don´t look disgusting and you won´t see anyone dropping unwanted papers or goods on your lap hoping you will buy something.

Imagine walking on the sidewalks of a large city without having to worry about stepping on dog shit. Well, in Chile you don´t have to.

We will be here for another 7 days, but so far we have been really impressed with the cleaness, organization, safety and prices we have seen in Chile.

My only concern so far is that my wife might become really bitter and bitchy once we go back to Argentina. She is loving here so much.

camberiu said:
Driving here is really weird. The traffic in Santiago can get really heavy during rush hour, but still, the chileans have this weird habit of obeying traffic rules. They actually use turning signal when changing lates, they stop at pedestrian crossings when pedestrians are crossing (what a concept), they yeild when there is an yeild sign. On the highway, they stay on the right lane and use the left lane just for passing!
What's wrong with those people? LOL

Insightful and interesting summary. I was under the impression Santiago was more expensive than BsAs. You havent mentioned anything regarding rent / housing, not sure how that stacks up. Personally, I am not sure I could deal with the weather in Santiago and plus I dont think it has the style of BsAs.

However, its such a shame that Chile is ahead of Argentina on so many levels, think there is so much more potential here, just not sure it will ever be realised...

I wish I'd written this post. I spent a week in Santiago in February: every point is spot on.
My summary of Chile was "an advanced Western country that happens to speak Spanish". It boggles the mind that this is all an hour's flight away from Buenos Aires.

cruizes said:
What's wrong with those people? LOL

Plenty as far as I could see. Spent a few weeks there and vowed never again. Just didn't seem to have any atmosphere. I'm sure it is great if going to the supermarket excites you, but my boliviano charges the same for a kilo of apples and I never want to go to another supermarket in my life (in the UK you don"t have much choice). Also, about 30% of Santiago taxi drivers tried to rip me off (compared to one in 1000 here). If I wander out for a drink here I normally meet plenty of Argies up for a stimulating debate on the issue of the moment, in Chile I talked to no one who wasn't serving me a drink or bringing food. Horses for courses I suppose. Maybe I dont know Santiago sufficiently to judge but I doubt there is the plethora of culture and entertainment that BA offers, let alone the amount that is free or ridiculously cheap but still of excellent quality.

The main fault of Argentina is a lack of stability that makes longterm decisions/investments very difficult as we all know. The flip side may be that the Argentines live for today, are less materialistic (excluding a few chetos who are easily avoided), have enormous pride in simple things (their ability to cook a good asado, their genetic link to Messi), and very rarely bore the shit out of you telling you about their new car, the value of their house, their annual bonus, etc.

If I ever miss going to a supermarket I know where to go though!

Argentines have told me Chile is boring. They say they have no nightlife, no culture. That's the main issue. I've never been to Santiago, so I couldn't tell you.

I hate the Chilean classism and the feeling of being served all the time, but that's just me

I would prefer to live in London (noooo, please) than Santiago, even if I had little money. The difference is in Buenos Aires if you have little money, while you might struggle paying for basic necessities you will never be bored. In London it is bloody difficult to entertain yourself without cash, hence last August's riots that seemed to come down to the necessity for electronic goods to make life bearable. It impresses me when very humble families here send their kids to some free concert to reserve the best seats hours before.What are they teaching their kids ?That culture is worth making an effort (and 3 hours of boredom) for.

Tell that to a brit kid with the same economic status?????

I talked to some girls from Chile a while back and we talked about BA - Santiago differences. They also say that Santiago has no ambiente as everything shuts down early. The local population lives far from the centre as rental prices are high and so there is insufficient permanent demand for nightlife in the centre where you would find the average tourist.

There is also one thing where Chile is like Switzerland... they are the MOST BORING places on earth. The only difference is that in Geneva and Zurich you have amazing nature around and the air is clean where in Santiago... well it is famous for having one of the worst air quality in Latin America (second only to Mexico DF)

Also, in Chile the class culture is very strong... they helped you in the supermarket because they feel you are superior and they should obey you... believe me it is not out of pure kindness. In that regards, Santiago is very much like Dubai where everyone will call you Sir or Madame because you have a fair skin.

Back