Chinese New Year Next Weekend

Arnebartelsman

Registered
Next weekend it's chinese new year. Does anyone have a clue if there's anything going on in barrio chino/buenos aires?
Given that it's a multiple-day thing it would be good to get some info on what kind of events/parties are on which days..

Ah, i guess i was too lazy to google this properly before asking here. http://www.barriochino.net/ tells me that most stuff will be going down on saturday and sunday.

That brings up another question: is it worthwhile?

We went to something last year in barrancas de belgrano, was ok for an hour or so. Had some food from a few stalls, nothing out of this world.

Honestly this event kinda sucks. It is generally super crowded and there really isn't a lot going on. There are some dragons which I guess are kinda cool, but that's about it. If you really want to experience barrio chino go to Asia Oriental any Saturday at 1pm and get some sesame noodles from the food counter. Then saunter yourself over to Hong Kong Style and have some bomb hot and sour soup. Then maybe buy some small trinkets and a kilo of fish and head on your way.

Thats about the height of it, I didnt get a lot out of it and barrio chino is for eating and food shopping, not really for drinking. Everytime i pass that bhuddaba place it is empty.

If there is a plan for celebrating the chinese new year I am in (either in barrio chino or chinee restaurant...). Fish brings luck, and dumplings....
anna

I went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yummy food stalls (not just asian food) and crafts, cute Asian-Argentine cultural shows, dragon parade at midnight. But I love Barrio Chino and Barrancas anyway. Last year they had moved it from congested Arribeños Street and were able to use the entire Barrancas, that was a first. It was not that crowded and I had a great time!!!

Back