Chocolate Chips In Buenos Aires ??

fred mertz

Registered
While unpacking out bags from a recent trip to EEUU, my wife Ethel discovered that an airline employee helped themselves to a large package of Nestles chocolate chips.
Yes, the cookies can be made without the chocolate chips. We're wondering if this product is available to the public? I can't remember ever seeing them in a market,but made in Argentina chocolate chip cookies are sold, so they must exist.

Yes, you can find chocolate chips here. They are sold in most large supermarkets by the bag and / or large dieteticas in bulk. You may even find them in those stores that sell "cotillón" (party supplies) where they sell sprinkles and other cake decorating supplies.
This store "Doña Clara" sells all of that stuff: http://www.donaclara.com.ar/

I have been bringing bags back on every US trip, as I've never in my 6 years here found a bag of semi sweet chips in any supermarket! I have seen them at Doña Clara, but when I tried to buy them there they were sold out! I'm also dubious that the stuff sold at the dieticas is real semi sweet chocolate. Looks more like carob..or a low percentage milk chocolate. Why else would it have been worth stealing?!

The chocolate chips here are NOT semi-sweet. They are plain chocolate and not high quality chocolate. However baking them into cookies, I don't find much of a difference in taste. Eating them by the handful is another thing.....

I have been bringing bags back on every US trip, as I've never in my 6 years here found a bag of semi sweet chips in any supermarket! I have seen them at Doña Clara, but when I tried to buy them there they were sold out! I'm also dubious that the stuff sold at the dieticas is real semi sweet chocolate. Looks more like carob..or a low percentage milk chocolate. Why else would it have been worth stealing?!
Do not leave home (USA) without chocolate chippers and walnuts. Always an integral part of traveling to Argentina.

If you want to get the local chocolate chips, you can find them at any casa de reposteria, and ask for " pepitas de chocolate " or " chips de chocolate " or http://listado.mercadolibre.com.ar/chips-de-chocolate-x-kg

Another option is a bar of baking chocolate or dark chocolate and a knife. I find it to be a pretty easy and tasty alternative that adds maybe two minutes to the job.

And if you ask me makes yummier cookies anyway! I prefer this over the bags of chips you can find here any day

Another option is a bar of baking chocolate or dark chocolate and a knife. I find it to be a pretty easy and tasty alternative that adds maybe two minutes to the job.

Aguila chocolate sold in any grocery store is easily the best chocolate in Argentina. I chop it up to make chocolate chip cookies and it actually tastes better than Nestle's Tollhouse chocolate chips.

Back