Chocolate Festival

cafeconleche

Registered
I saw an ad at a subway station the other day for a chocolate festival in Villa General Belgrano, Cordoba in July. It sounded like fun. Has anyone ever attended it?

Ironic in a country with such bad chocolate!

I went three years ago in July, 2008. Specifically designed to attract families with school kids during the mid-winter break. It was'n't too crowded then, do not know if it has become bigger.

It is held in the same community hall where the Octoberfest is held every year. Local dance schools perfrom on stage, mainly kids.

Different booths of local homemade chocolate producers, you pay by the weight. In my opinion, not that great either in terms of an event or quality of chocolate. Most of the choclate has that waxy feel of inferior chocolate.

The town is a touristy strip of souvenir shops and psuedo-German bars, with good-enough locally brewed beer and bratwurst. A pleasant half-day trip if you are in the area anyway. Nowhere near as touristy as the largescale Carlos Paz, and there are pleasant walks in the countryside nearby.

The hilly area is wonderful for a visit in the summer, with nice little forests and small clear streams to swim in. Probably much better in terms of nature is the Transierra in the same province, on the west side of the hills.

Lee said:
I must agree that this is ironic indeed.

And wtf is jj?

I guess jj is just joking? I know Argentine chocolate isn't much to write home about but I really was curious about the festival!

El Aguila Costa Marfil (and Ecuador) 60% Cacao is pretty good quality, especially when compared to the price of imported chocolate here. Some other local brands that are good (like Fenix) charge close to the price of Lindt's :p

Villa Belgrano is not in Cordoba but it is nearby. It is a german town and you might think you were Bavaria -although less so as time goes on. Amongst other things, this is where many of the survivors of the Graf Spe - a Nazi warship sunk by the British off Montevideo at the outset of the war. They created there own little version of German. A few serious ex-nazis were also known to have lived there. It´s worth a visit.

Back