Christmas (not) in BsAs

mienke

Registered
Hola,

My husband and I have been in BsAs for a month or 2 now,
Christmas is around the corner, but no plans. Kind of strange in the new city and all.

Anyone have a suggestion of what might be good to do on the day in Buenos Aires? Else anyone have suggestions of places we could escape too, just for the christmas weekend (that won't cost an arm and a leg?)

maybe someone know of a hidden jewel, maybe estancia a few hours out? Shot in the dark, but that beats us drinking wine alone on the balcony ;)

thanks!

Xmas here is quiet,many families go away,and of course many families meet up in their respective homes.If I were you I,d go to Rosario or Salta,not too expensive,do you drive/have transport?depends on your circumstances

I always find Christmas weird in Buenos Aires.
This will be my seventh and of course it all happens on Christmas Eve, which is so different from the UK, where we go to the pub on that night and it all happens on the day.
I'd find a bondiola on Costanera.
Personally, I'm lighting the parrilla on Xmas day.

I'll check out Rosario, Salta is just too far away for just the weekend. and looking at flights $$$
Gringoboy, finding BsAs a little strange christmas wise too... the massive fake christmas tree looks kind of weird infront of the Casa Rosada too :)
else parilla it is,

anyone know if Colonia might be a nice escape for a night or 2?

Gringoboy said:
I always find Christmas weird in Buenos Aires.
This will be my seventh and of course it all happens on Christmas Eve, which is so different from the UK, where we go to the pub on that night and it all happens on the day.
I'd find a bondiola on Costanera.
Personally, I'm lighting the parrilla on Xmas day.
It,ll be my eighth xmas here,and i do miss the xmas eve/new years eve piss ups back home in Nottingham:cool: still my wife is Argentine so we,ll be at her aunties house to "celebrate":rolleyes:.....no,xmas here sucks,the heat,the lack of carols...We (about 40 of us) met up last friday in Breoghans for a good old xmas carol sing song,I got home at 7am ,now if I was to arrive home at 7 am in the UK?well of course that wouldn,t be possible due to bar time restrictions,so some things are better here:eek:whatever you choose to do,a merry xmas to you:)

mienke said:
I'll check out Rosario, Salta is just too far away for just the weekend. and looking at flights $$$
Gringoboy, finding BsAs a little strange christmas wise too... the massive fake christmas tree looks kind of weird infront of the Casa Rosada too :)
else parilla it is,

anyone know if Colonia might be a nice escape for a night or 2?

Everything will be closed on Xmas day so plan ahead for grocery shopping if you're doing the asado at home. I don't really remember any restaurants being open that day either so don't count on going out to eat. Esp with it being an xtra long weekend for a lot of businesses/people.

I'm still not used to hot christmas here and miss real trees and snow but it is what it is. We're doing a grill at home on Xmas eve and Xmas day will probably be spent puttering around the house and eating leftovers :D

Actually I remember seeing a few restaurants and cafes open on Christmas Day last year, some on Santa Fe and some in Palermo. In fact I went out for coffee on the morning of the 25th. Besides me, mostly people returning from the discos. Later in the day some of the groceries opened as well. Christmas Eve everything is closed after 6 PM or so.

I would also suggest Colonia or Carmelo (less touristy and great atmospehere, ferry goes there or drive there via Gualeguaychu...another good option), although no idea if there will be restaurants open there...check the web. Unless of course you are into carol singing then I bet Howard know's some seriously wild carol singing partys. It's all a family affair here, so not much open at all, and get your drink and food in early !!!

Dont know your budget but
http://www.yachtingaventura.com.ar/desc_superescapada.html
has an interesting packages where they take you out on a yacht for a hours ride then dinner then back to the dock where you can stay the night on the boat for about 1400 pesos. i am thinking of it or something like it for new year (not the only place that offers this

Ive been many many times to Chascomus. 1.5 hrs by shuttle van. LEaves from the obilisco. I can send you the details. I always stay at Aparthotel Chascomus. Look it up or I can send you those details too. You rent a small cabin, all are together. Right on lake. Pool, Quiet, etc. Many Ok restaurants in town, one is 1 block away. rent bikes, etc. They are very popular and always book up. I used to joke with the owner that its a Gold Mine. (P.S. you can also go by train. dont go by normal bus, lets you way out of town)

Back