Citizenship Options - Overstay Tourist Visa, Or Legit Route?

camel

Registered
Hola chicos,

Over the last 5 months, I have read all the threads here about citizenship, hundreds of pages worth. I moved here (a US citizen) about 6 weeks ago, so I still have 45 days left on my tourist visa. I am going to be here for at least 2 years. While I'm here, I would like to get Argentine citizenship.

I met with one citizenship lawyer, who unequivocally advised me to overstay my tourist visa. He advised me to NOT do the Uruguay visa runs, and to NOT go to migraciones for residency. I'm fine with doing the "overstay the visa" method, but before I let the 90 days pass on my tourist visa, while I'm still "legit", I wanted to get feedback from forum members here. Once I overstay, at that point I will have crossed the line from legit to irregular.

So my question is: What is the disadvantage to going the legit migraciones route? Is it the risk of being denied a visa, and possibly deported? Does it cause the citizenship route to take longer (than 2 years, using the constitutional method)? Is it because it's hard to find work here, or show legitimate income? My income is from a US-based online business, and I can show whatever records (bank statements, etc) for the last 2 years. At least one of my customers is even a well-known Argentinian website. As far as my background, I am a software engineer, and have a computer science degree from a US university.

As I said, I have no problem being "irregular" for the 2 year period, but before I cross that line, I wanted to ask here. If you need more info on my background, just ask. Thank you.

did you carry your fbi/police record appostilled and ready to be submitted to the lawyer?

if you did not..you will have to go back to USA to get it..so better do it when u r legimate and then do as the lawer suggests.

If you're going to be here for only 2 years. You don't care whatever happens after 2 years for the rest of your life, you propably get by just doing the Colonia run one time and overstay the rest of the 2 years. The risk exists, but is minimal ... absolute minimal. If you don't need them (bank acct, driver license, work, etc etc ... ) no one is going to know about you or look for you. You hassle it for 2 years and time goes by.

If you're planning and care for whatever happens after 2 years, ... completely different story.

did you carry your fbi/police record appostilled and ready to be submitted to the lawyer?

if you did not..you will have to go back to USA to get it..so better do it when u r legimate and then do as the lawer suggests.

The lawyer told me I would need the FBI report in a year, once I can apply for citizenship. I think I can get it from the States without being there (with friends there who can mail it to me). I already have my fingerprints taken and ready to submit. I have with me an apostilled copy of my birth certificate.

If you're going to be here for only 2 years. You don't care whatever happens after 2 years for the rest of your life, you propably get by just doing the Colonia run. The risk exists, but is minimal ... absolute minimal. One time they might give you grief, but you hassle it for 2 years and time goes by.

If you're planning and care for whatever happens after 2 years, ... completely different story.

I do care what happens after 2 years - I do want citizenship.

Do you qualify for temporary or permanent residency? If you don't qualify, then your only choice really is to overstay. The tourist extension can only be done once (as far as I know) and Colonial runs can be risky. At this point I'd say it's best to stay off migraciones radar until you qualify for residency or citizenship.

Do you qualify for temporary or permanent residency? If you don't qualify, then your only choice really is to overstay. The tourist extension can only be done once (as far as I know) and Colonial runs can be risky. At this point I'd say it's best to stay off migraciones radar until you qualify for residency or citizenship.

I don't know if I qualify for residency. I might qualify for a rentista one, depending on the income requirements, or a student visa (I am taking a class at UBA, spanish for foreigners). If I do qualify for residency, does this affect the citizenship application? Do I have to wait longer to apply, for example? I'll research the various kinds of residency to see if I clearly qualify for one.

I don't know if I qualify for residency. I might qualify for a rentista one, depending on the income requirements, or a student visa (I am taking a class at UBA, spanish for foreigners). If I do qualify for residency, does this affect the citizenship application? Do I have to wait longer to apply, for example? I'll research the various kinds of residency to see if I clearly qualify for one.

To qualify for student visa must be accepted by University, and also pass a Spanish proficiency test. Language class may not do.

Back