Citizenship Question

Pensador

Registered
I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge.

Question any of you that have taken your citizenship you have had any issues or regrets, is there anything I should be aware of that I might not be aware of. Thanks for any feed back.

Good Morning, hope you folks are doing well. It's okay if you want to take the plunge, just not there. Argentina is having some big problems! One being the downward spiral of the value of there money. Since that problem started, they went from 100P being the biggest bill to 1,000P, in just a few years.

It's also started the rationing of money. Many bank money machines / ATMs only give out $100 American dollars worth, or not much more than that. And to find coins for using in the machines, like for washing clothes, can be a real challenge!

The money problem would be easier to handle if they would except foreign bank charge cards for payment. Paying $1,000 in rent can be a major pain.

The quality of maintenance was some of the worst I'd ever saw, and I've been to a lot of countries in the different parts of the world! The problems range from doors binding, plumbing leaking, electrical outlets falling out of the walls and so much more! A good lady there, that was an independent language teacher, was very ashamed of her country and the bad condition it has fallen into.

Also, in general, a lot of the folks there aint very friendly or helpful. They seem to not like gringos. America and Europe have done a lot more to help Argentina, then what they ever did to help us. I met some good and sharp folks there, but they are in the minority. Some of the stupidity of those in charge was a big turn off!

Hope this info helps. Just look into all options, to include the cheap and seemingly stable and peaceful countries, like Thailand and Philipines. Even Uruguay seemed more stable.

Sorry I aint got a lot of good news about your "plunge". I just don't want to see the "plunge" drown you. This is the first time I've been on here in months, so it may be some time next year before I'm back on. Take care down there and Merry Christmas! I plan to be in Panama till after Christmas.

Formerly of the coalition at Bagram / Kabul, Afganistan 2006-2016
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan

Soli Deo Gloria

I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge.

Question any of you that have taken your citizenship you have had any issues or regrets, is there anything I should be aware of that I might not be aware of. Thanks for any feed back.

I remember that you previously posted that, because of your marriage with an Argentine, you believe that the permanent residency you are presently seeking would be sufficient.

Unless migraciones starts deporting ALL foreigners, regardless of race (i. e. including Caucasians), you should be just fine.

One advantage of having citizenship might be (based on one of Dr. Rubilar's posts) is that if you are ever charged with a crime you would most likely remain free (at least until the trial is over).

And, if you now have a US passport, you would no longer need a visa to visit Brazil.

I'm not sure if having "citizenship" would make you "immune" from any "hostile" actions by migraciones. I hope Dr. Rubilar will comment about that. I think he previously posted that citizenship granted to a (non-Mercosur) foreigner could be revoked but I'm not sure who would have the power to do so (perhaps by the order of a judge?).

In other words, I hope that having Argentine citizenship could only be revoked if you are convicted of a "real" crime and not by the order (on the whim) of anyone at migraciones.

Based on Dr. Rubilar's posts I have the impression that there is a deliberate effort to purge Argentina of non-Mercosur, non-Caucasian, foreigners, even if they have "legal" residency, so if you're white, you shouldn't be too worried, at least not yet.

As always, i appreciate updated information on this subject and/or corrections to anything in this post.

Yes I am thinking about it because residency seems to be on a some what unstable ground. I do not see myself ever having any criminal issues. Not in my nature so to say. But thinking citizenship will be more solid ground. I can also bring my sons fairly easily if Trumplandia turns in WW3 landia. Perhaps I might be wrong but time will tell. All this immigration stuff has me seriously considering URU again. Given the history of Argentina as we know strange things can happen here but it seems strange things are happening every where these days.

Oh on other thing I have discovered a secret to health, wealth and happiness. It goes like this.... Happy Wife equals Happy Life.. Took me like 45 years to figure that one out. And my best tip never squabble with a female just shut up because you will never win. :lol:

I remember that you previously posted that, because of your marriage with an Argentine, you believe that the permanent residency you are presently seeking would be sufficient.

Unless migraciones starts deporting ALL foreigners, regardless of race (i. e. including Caucasians), you should be just fine.

One advantage of having citizenship might be (based on one of Dr. Rubilar's posts) is that if you are ever charged with a crime you would most likely remain free (at least until the trial is over).

And, if you now have a US passport, you would no longer need a visa to visit Brazil.

I'm not sure if having "citizenship" would make you "immune" from any "hostile" actions by migraciones. I hope Dr. Rubilar will comment about that. I think he previously posted that citizenship granted to a (non-Mercosur) foreigner could be revoked but I'm not sure who would have the power to do so (perhaps by the order of a judge?).

In other words, I hope that having Argentine citizenship could only be revoked if you are convicted of a "real" crime and not by the order (on the whim) of anyone at migraciones.

Based on Dr. Rubilar's posts I have the impression that there is a deliberate effort to purge Argentina of non-Mercosur, non-Caucasian, foreigners, even if they have "legal" residency, so if you're white, you shouldn't be too worried, at least not yet.

As always, i appreciate updated information on this subject and/or corrections to anything in this post.

Just my guess but if I were the Doc I would be looking for new niche.. Just sayin. Cause it aint what it was!

Back