"civil" Marriage - Documents Needed?

Jlevi

Registered
Hey there,

First time posting but I have been following a couple topics for a while now.

I am from the US but have spent some time in Argentina. I am currently in the states but flying to BA in less than a month, where I plan to marry my Argentinian fiancee. It has been almost impossible to understand what documents we need to make it happen. Hopefully you guys could help me..I am lost.

While the "registro civil" website states that I would only need my passport (since i dont have a DNI), other websites mention needing some sort of single status affidavit, birth certificate, and other documents. We have tried to call the registro civil, several comunas and email as well, however it seems like the "user is busy" every single time. It's very frustrating but we can't do it in the states because it would borderline visa fraud.

I haven't been able to find a topic about this in particular, they are mostly geared towards filing for permanent residency/citizenship. This is not something we need, I honestly just need to know what we need so we are able to get married. I could go ahead and get those documents and apostille them but It would be great to avoid it if not necessary as it's time consuming and expensive as well.

I hope someone can guide us a bit

Thanks!

Did you happen to find out anything? I'm been combing old threads here trying to find out the same information but most refer to what to do after you get married for citizenship/residency. I have the same questions as you so if you found out what documents you needed as a US citizen marrying an Argentine citizen, let me know. Also, does the testigo/witness need to be an Argentine citizen as well or can they be visiting from the US? Thanks for any information at all!!!

I know this isn't really the info your looking for but to be completely honest, it is easier and cheaper to do it in the US. There is so much red tape and hoops to jump thru to get married as a foreigner in Argentina. If you get the info your looking for, you will see what I mean. I don't remember what all was required but when we found out (12 yeas ago) we decided to do it in the US at the Justice of the Peace then came back o BsAs and had a acting (w/o official judge) wedding and the party with all of our local family and friends.

Hannstew, we did this as well. Were you able to use your US marriage docs for citizenship or residency purposes in Argentina? Thanks!

Hannstew, we did this as well. Were you able to use your US marriage docs for citizenship or residency purposes in Argentina? Thanks!

My wife and I also decided to marry here rather than in Argentina. You will need to get the marriage certificate apostilled and translated; and then once done, you can easily use these to obtain your DNI (of course, there are other docs you need; but getting the DNI through marriage seems like the easiest process to get residency).

My wife and I also decided to marry here rather than in Argentina. You will need to get the marriage certificate apostilled and translated; and then once done, you can easily use these to obtain your DNI (of course, there are other docs you need; but getting the DNI through marriage seems like the easiest process to get residency).

I feel compelled to point out the Catch-22 in the mix. In order to have your US marriage recognized in ARG, it would cost around $1200US, according to what we were told (and involve a lawyer, judge, and headaches). By using your US docs to obtain residency, Argentina recognizes the marriage by default. Hmmm...maybe it's a reverse Catch-22.

Wineguy, So if the US marriage certificate (Colorado) is apostilled and translated it is good for use to get residency or citizenship? Thanks!

I feel compelled to point out the Catch-22 in the mix. In order to have your US marriage recognized in ARG, it would cost around $1200US, according to what we were told (and involve a lawyer, judge, and headaches). By using your US docs to obtain residency, Argentina recognizes the marriage by default. Hmmm...maybe it's a reverse Catch-22.

I never had any issue with this. My wife works for the Argentine Ministry of Foreign Affairs - we married in NYC a few years ago. The Ministry recognizes our marriage, as I am a spouse with certain benefits (e.g. medical benefits; diplomatic passport, etc.). When I applied for my permanent residency, it was done through the process available to spouses of Argentine citizens. Now.....I did have all of my documents (Birth Certificate, Certificate of Good Standing, Marriage Certificate, etc.) apostilled, translated, and then certified by the Argentine Consul here in NYC - they provided me with a permanent resident visa in my passport - and I then completed the process at Migraciones to get my DNI while I was in Buenos Aires on my last trip. According to my wife (a lawyer), you cannot be married twice (in other words, you don't get married in the US, and then get married again in Argentina) - if you do, only the first marriage is legally recognized. But other than getting the marriage certificate apostilled and translated, it should satisfy as a valid marriage in Argentina.

You have to go in person to the registro civil where you plan to marry and ask them for the documents you need. Don't call; calling/email is a waste of time 90% of the time in Argentina. Go in person. If you can get it in writing, even better. You have to apply a month before the date you plan to marry. Bloodwork/health check a week before. Your girlfriend will most likely need to be the one doing the applying, since she does have a DNI.

Which registro civil you need to apply at depends on your fiance's residence. If she's in provincia, you generally only have 1 registro civil you can go to. If she lives in Capital, I think you have more of a choice (as long as it's in Capital). Find one where you can apply the most easily.

All I needed was my passport. I first went to one registro civil where they said I needed a document to prove I was single, but no such document exists in the US. So my husband tried another registro civil (which we technically don't belong to) and they said they could marry us... only passport needed. That was five years ago.

If your Spanish is lacking, you will most likely need an interpreter as well.

Back