Clear updates about residencies in Argentina

Saninmdz

Registered
Hi everyone in this beautiful thread, I hope you are all doing great :)

I have been attentively reading in the thread about various topics for update but to be honest, I sort of got mixed up and would like to get things clear by posting direct questions about my confusion in the form of a list of questions of each residence in a different post of this thread.

We start with the rentista visa, I have read more than one from different members that the info posted on the official website is outdated and that this visa is hard to get.
1. Is this visa really complicated?

2. What is the applicant required to present?

3. What is the minimum passive income to be eligible?

4. What does it mean passive income in the eyes of Migraciones? Is YouTube income, for example, could be considered like passive income for them?

5. On the official website, it's mentioned that this visa is granted for a period of one year extendable. Is there someone here who got it valid for more than one year?

6. How much time does it take since you apply until you receive the DNI?

7. Let's say you got this visa and in the third year, you lost your income. Would they give you the permanent residence anyway or they will tell you "Nos vemos"?

Many thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
We start with the rentista visa, I have read more than one from different members that the info posted on the official website is outdated and that this visa is hard to get.
1. Is this visa really complicated?

2. What is the applicant required to present?

3. What is the minimum passive income to be eligible?

4. What does it mean passive income in the eyes of Migraciones? Is YouTube income, for example, could be considered like passive income for them?

5. On the official website, it's mentioned that this visa is granted for a period of one year extendable. Is there someone here who got it valid for more than one year?

6. How much time does it take since you apply until you receive the DNI?

7. Let's say you got this visa and in the third year, you lost your income. Would they give you the permanent residence anyway or they will tell you "Nos vemos"?

1. Getting the visa rentista isn't difficult if you can provide clear "evidence" of stable, passive foreign income from investments.

2. Passport (including photocopies of all pages), criminal background report of any country you have lived in for more than one year (cumulative) during the past three years.

If you are from the USA, migracioes may still ask for the FBI report, even if youwere living in another country for all of the past three years.

It must be Apostilled in the USA and translated into Spanish by a certified translator in Argentina (assumng you are going to present the docs here).

You will also need the criminal background report for Argentina, even if you have never been here before.

3. It isn't specified in pesos on the migraciones website, but recent posts have indicated that $2000 USD is once again the monthly minimum.

4. Income must be passive and that does not include working online in any way as a "digital nomad" (including income from YouTube).

5. The visa rentista must be renewed each year and "evidence" that the passive income will continue must be updated. If the income requirment has increased, the higher level will apply.

6. Others with more recent experience can answer this one.

7. The same income requirments apply on the third "renewal" when it is possible to request the "cambio de categoria" from temporary to permanent.

If you "lost you income" migraciones would not say "Nos vemos." They woud just say, "No."

Last edited:
You also have the option to apply for citizenship (with or withut a DNI) at any point after your arrival in Argentina.

I will be "easier" for you to apply for citizenship on your own after you have had temporary residency and a DNI for two years, but it is also important that you can demonstrate an honest means of living to the court when you apply for citizenship.

Based on a recent post by Bajo_Creo2, an Argentine lawyer who specializes in Argentine citizenship for foreigners, an online income is apparently acceptd by many of the judgs, so that may be your best route in the long run.

If you can live without a DNI for two and a half to three years, citizenship might be an attractive alternative to the visa rentista from the start.

Hi

I can help you with questions 6 and 7

Now the procedure for the DNI is digital, and it speeds up the process. It usually takes 2 to 3 months. There are exceptional cases where the wait is longer, but it is not common.

Permanent residency can be obtained after 2 years. They do not ask you to declare your income. The ideal is clearly that this does not happen to you, hahaha.

In another line of thought, I always recommend to those who visit my country, to know the Argentine polo, which is unique in the world. Argentina Polo Day is a great option!

Permanent residency can be obtained after 2 years. They do not ask you to declare your income.
Are you saying that permanent residceny can be obtained (granted by Argentine migraciones) after two (consecutive) years of legal temporary residecy which was first granted and renewed once by Argentine migraciones?

Does this apply to all categories of temporary residency (including work and student)?

Also, are you sure that migraciones does not ask for evidence of either foreign or local income when the request for the cambio de categoria from temporary to permanet residency is made?

I can speak form personal experience that I was granted permanent residency on the third renewal of my temporary residency and that I was required to provide the same type of evidence of my foreign income as I did wehn I first aplied for temporary residency as well as for the first two renewals.

I know far more about the visa rentista and the pensionado that the student or work visas...

...andI don't recall reading that anyone was able to get permanent residency after having temporary residency for only two years and I haven't read that anyone was ever able to get permanent residency after having a student visa for either two or three years.

One member recently posted that someone with temporary residency based on being a student (perhaps as well as the visa rentista and the visa pensionada) could obtain permanent residency after two years, but I have serious doubts about that, especially if it was after being a student for two (or even three years).

If it is possible, I would love to hear from someone who actually has done so,

Last edited:
Are you saying that permanent residceny can be obtained (granted by Argentine migraciones) after two (consecutive) years of legal temporary residecy which was first granted and renewed once by Argentine migraciones?
It can be if the exp** is a Mercosur exp**. (But we tend not to think of them when we use the word exp**. Which is the reason I hate the word.)

Last edited:
It can be if the exp** is a Mercosur exp**. (But we tend not to think of them when we use the word exp**. Which is the reason I hate the word.)
Thnak you, Alby!

This means that the post that indicated that permanent residency can be obtained after 2 years and that they (migraciones) do (does) not ask you to declare your income will not apply to the vast majority of temporary or permanent residecy wannabees who ever read it here, as they do not have residency or citizenship (whichever is applicable) in another Mercousur country (no doubt including the origianl poster).

I have known several Argentines over the past 16 years who told me that I "should" be able to get permanaet residency after two years in Argentina.

The first was almost 16 years ago in CABA and it was the 80 year old father of my first (and most likley my last) Argentine girlfriend.

The latest was on Moday of this week and it was my 36 year old computer guru in Punta Alta.

Like Monroy, they appear to be correct that permanent residency can be obtained (in some cases) after two years, just not by (almost) any of us in this forum.

It must be Apostilled in the USA and translated into Spanish by a certified translator in Argentina (assumng you are going to present the docs here).
Does this mean that the applicant can also apply outside Argentina?

I will be "easier" for you to apply for citizenship on your own after you have had temporary residency and a DNI for two years
The applicant must have DNI in hand when applying (supposing he/she wants to apply after two years of living in the country) OR it is also possible to apply even if you have only "precaria"?

Thank you very much Steve for your clarifications as always!! In fact, I couldn't imagine this forum without you man!

Does this mean that the applicant can also apply outside Argentina?
If I understand correctly, you can start the process of applying for temporary residency at an Argentine consulate and then present your papers to migraciones in Argentina when you go there for the first time.

I think you can wait to have the translations done until after you arrive, but that will be easy.

I am not sure of the actual sequence if you start the process at an Argentine consulate.

Perhaps SecretShopper can elaborate (if and when he starts posting again).

I did everything from and in Argentina, including requesting my USA criminal background check, my birth certificate and my financial docs to be sent to me. I then had them translated here.

In 2006 I was also required to provide my birth certificate with the Apostille for temporary residency. It is no longer required for the visa rentista or pensionada, but it is for citizenship.

I suggest you get the certified (state issued) copy of your birth certifictae with the Apostille before coming to Argentina as it is still required for citizenship.

You may eventually decide that citizenship without temporary residency is actually a better option, especially if you can live without a DNI for two and a half years and your online (YouTube) income is not taxable (as a citizenship lawyer recently indicated) while you are waiting to obtain citizenship

The applicant must have DNI in hand when applying (supposing he/she wants to apply after two years of living in the country) OR it is also possible to apply even if you have only "precaria"?

Having a precria means you have already been approved for temporary residency and you are waiting to receive your DNI.

You can apply for citizenship without a DNI soon after your arrival but you will probably need a lawyer (I wouldn't even try without one).

It will still take more than two years to gt citizenship and you will have to be able to "survive" without a DNI while you are waiting.

After you apply for citizenship, your lawyer can "protect" (and should be able to prevent) yoy from being deported, though migraciones will not likely be hunting for you.

Thank you very much Steve for your clarifications as always!! In fact, I couldn't imagine this forum without you man!
You are most welcome as well as very kind!

Having a precria means you have already been approved for temporary residency and you are waiting to receive your DNI.
Having a precaria means you have submitted all your papers successfully and Migraciones have begun to assess them. The precaria is a document that enables you to live legally for 90 days while they complete the assessment. You will not receive a DNI at his point.

If they have NOT finished assessing your application within 90 days, you have to apply to Migraciones to extend your precaria. You can do this no earlier than day 80. You keep doing this every 80 to 90 days until they complete the assessment (which, in the case of the rentista, could be many times). If, in the end, they approve you for temporary residency, they will issue a different document (replacing the precaria document) and, separately, will issue you a DNI.

Back