Clothing, And Behavior On The Street

Redpossum

Registered
I first noticed this at that CTA demonstration my second day here, but it took me a while to feel I understood enough to speak.

At the demonstration, I was drawing doubtful looks from the demonstrators. There was no hostility, or even resentment, just hesitancy in the way they looked at me. So I continued to watch, ("keep your mouth shut, and your eyes & ears open", my step-father would growl at me after clouting me upside the head), and I noticed that the attitude of the passers-by seemed to vary inversely with how well-dressed they were. One man walked by wearing a raincoat (Burberry or London Fog, not sure which), that would have cost $400 in the USA, and he practically dripped contempt. That was when the lightbulb went on over my head. So I looked down at myself, nice new slacks, dress shirt, new shoes, $90 Gargoyles perched on top of my head, and I understood the looks. They were thinking, "you're too well-dressed to be one of us".

The men in nice suits are rare on the streets of BsAs, but one does see them, and also a somewhat larger number of men in cheap suits desperately trying to pass. But the men in the really nice suits almost universally seem to have a major attitude. At the Carrefour this morning, I was waiting in line and one of these types literally pushed his way past three of us without even bothering to mutter the appropriate social courtesy, like we weren't even there. I actually had a bit of a temper burn, and when I turned to look at the lady behind me, she met my eyes and just gave a little shrug, as if to say, "yeah, they're jerkwads, but what can we do?". Now, understand, this man was just beautifully well-attired, his tailored 3-piece suit was a charcoal grey with pinstripes, and of a quality equivalent to Christian Dior or YSL. I shudder to even think what that cost here, with the 50% tariff. And, yes, I'm envious!

So who are these guys, and what is their problem?

Not sure this is a "special" aspect of the rich. I've been pushed out of the way by people in suits as well as people in jeans, especially on the buses. Now, I just push back with, "La palabra es permiso!"

However, give it time. You might start seeing that there are as many people here who are courteous as are rude.

Not sure this is a "special" aspect of the rich. I've been pushed out of the way by people in suits as well as people in jeans, especially on the buses. Now, I just push back with, "La palabra es permiso!"

However, give it time. You might start seeing that there are as many people here who are courteous as are rude.

My bad, I gave the wrong impression by not saying enough.

By and large, the vast majority of porteños seem to be amazingly polite for a city of this size. The overall average level of courtesy is simply astonishing. I have talked to dozens of people on the street, and they have been universally helpful and kind. Compared to New Yorkers or Angeleños, the people of BA are great.

But, of course, "give it time" is good advice :)

My bad, I gave the wrong impression by not saying enough.

By and large, the vast majority of porteños seem to be amazingly polite for a city of this size. The overall average level of courtesy is simply astonishing. I have talked to dozens of people on the street, and they have been universally helpful and kind. Compared to New Yorkers or Angeleños, the people of BA are great.

But, of course, "give it time" is good advice :)

I have only ever been to New York once in my life and i found many New Yorkers were very helpful and courteous, I have also found many porteños helpful and courteous.

Anecdotal evidence is just that.

hmmm., yes, BA is perhaps less courteous than many US cities but nothing to get uptight about really. I would have to say that the US is rather different in that aspect from so many countries and that you are just not used to how people behave in S. America or elsewhere perhaps. Paris would be another extreme... sorry to bring it up Parisiens.

Personally, I would avoid watching demonstrations unless you are part of it, because the shit often hits the fan here.

I guess that you are not driving in Argentina yet Redpossum, because that is one area where you might get a much more major shock. I'm not just talking about city traffic, agressive driving behaviour and people running the lights and crashing, but highspeed tailgating, picadas with cheering and betting crowds, dangerous manoeuvres and serious road rage.

Anyway, welcome to Arg!

So for me to have this attire on is a no,no there in Bs As.? Of course sans the samurai swords !
http://www.google.com/search?q=Haori+Hakama+attire+pics&nord=1&rlz=1C2SNNT_enUS377&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NQU7U_OiIILukAXx04DgDg&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1061&bih=599

Even the Gaijin walking arounds looks so cool !

The people with serious money here will look down on ANYONE THEY CAN, just to make them feel like PEOPLE WITH SERIOUS MONEY or ppl who are affecting the same. Basically, something serious happened here in the last 50 years. Take a look at photos from BA then, mostly 99% white people, with standards. Today, the influx of the indian from the countries surrounding this place has changed the genetic composition. That is not meaninful in itself, what has meaning is that they have lowered the standards of behavior, the societal standards, to where now there are none, like in . . Detroit, for instance. Since the goverment is a mafia, and has been for a long time, their only concern is to profit themselves, and they do , massively.. I dont think they have an idea of what it is they should be doing for their country and people. Soooo.. getting back to the arrogance and contempt.. these MFs have it massive doses, basically because they have such power over anybody not in their level. And there are so many of them.. and becoming more daily. These are the same ppl that run and get into office. So that they can feel what they are addicted to.. their superiority over the vermin that crawl in the mud (literally.. ).

This place is a joda, a joke, a bad joke, a travesty. The ppl with money have no grace, and the poor have no life. No one knows anything, or has a thought about anything, any kind of response, they lower their little heads and keep on plodding .. only if they themseves are the victims will there be a reaction. perhaps amazement in their face, or confusion, which does nothing to change the status quo.... no longer have the concept of dignity, the life here conjures to make it so... interminable lines for everything, gov websites that dont work, lines in banks, corruption and inefficiency everywhere, una sociedad a la deriva, without a compass, and worst.. without any visible means of obtaining such a compass for as far as an educated and imparcial imagination can see.

These ppl are fucked, and this is the very LAST TIME i put myself thru the gauntlet. bye argentina, locos de mierda, one and all

Sense of fashion. Let me tell you, the Argies, don't know if 'cause they descend from the Italians but,
among all continental americans, they really do posses nice fashon taste. Most of them looking good when
they put on the fabrics..

Sense of fashion. Let me tell you, the Argies, don't know if 'cause they descend from the Italians but,
among all continental americans, they really do posses nice fashon taste. Most of them looking good when
they put on the fabrics..

Perhaps part of it is that they are thinner on average than Americans. But I do agree they wear their clothes well. Some of these guys look damn sharp.

Back