Cockroach Fumigation Toxicity

Rad

Registered
I am sure some of you have personal experiences with this. How toxic are the fumes to humans? Is it possible to fumigate in the morning or noon and sleep in the same apartment that same day?

Rad said:
I am sure some of you have personal experiences with this. How toxic are the fumes to humans? Is it possible to fumigate in the morning or noon and sleep in the same apartment that same day?

I asked the guy who came by, he said it wasn't toxic to humans at all. But I doubt it.

Typically they only spray in the kitchen ( behind the fridge, stove and cupboards, also over drainers if any ) and in the bathrooms, so you will not be sleeping in the same room where they sprayed. If you ask them, they will put gel instead ( you have to ask for that ). In over 30 years I never had a problem nor did my pets. I assume you are referring to the fumigation services most buildings have monthly (?)

Reactions: Rad
This will be an "emergency" fumigation (not preventative), because the roaches are already in the building. Will they use the same chemicals?

Rad said:
This will be an "emergency" fumigation (not preventative), because the roaches are already in the building. Will they use the same chemicals?

They might use the same ones, if you are concerned you can just tell them to spray outside the windows and drainers, or just use the gel. You must know that you are not obliged to let them in if you do not want to. Even if you are renting, they cannot force you to let them spray anything you do not trust, and you also have the right to know what it is exactly that they are using.

It is very possible that since a lot of people go on vacation trips on Dec, Jan and Feb, many apartments have not been fumigated, hence the more roaches you have noticed.

Again, I never had any issues and I have moved 13 times all over the city so I have lived in many different buildings.

Reactions: Rad
This is my vacation right now (sort of). I only come to Buenos Aires during the Canadian winters or this year to avoid the Olympics. Dealing with roaches and chemicals while I am here is not enjoyable, but at least I have a more authentic experience ;)

I was told to keep the dogs out of the house for four hours after fumigation, so I'd expect it would be the same for humans.

That's probably because dogs put their tongues where people (normally) don't. I wouldn't take the dog statement to be something that necessarily applies to humans.

Neil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Expat Life 18
S Expat Life 8
Back